My Tele weighs a metric fuck ton

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

My Tele weighs a metric fuck ton - do I...

Rebody
7%
Start lifting bro
52%
Buy another tele
21%
I'm not out of tune. You're out of tune
No votes
Sloan helps out
21%

Total votes: 29
gusman2x

My Tele weighs a metric fuck ton

Post by gusman2x »

I've been enjoying playing my duo sonic with the band, but the short scale, coupled with the difficulty to get it really well intonated is making me want to play something else. But I really like the utilitarian set up, so the obvious answer is to use my tele. It's a lovely lovely player, and sounds great. It was my late father in law's guitar, so there will be no selling it, or routing it for a helium module.

However, it's so heavy it's actually not funny. Well over 12lb, closer to 13 actually.

So do I:

1) - Rebody. I see some bodies form UK companies for around the £130 mark.

2) - Man the fuck up.

3) - Leave it untouched and get another tele (not a good idea me thinks).

4) - Keep playing the Duo, who cares if I sound out of tune, I'll blame the rest of the band.

5) - Have Sloan stand behind me holding onto the strap to alleviate the weight.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

http://italiastraps.com/guitar-straps-uk.html

A couple of my guitars are really heavy, but as I like how they play and sound I've gotten around this with super wide guitar straps. The italia leather straps are awesome and they always have good deals going. I bought 2 for the price of 1 and free shipping when I ordered mine.

They're really good people to deal with as well, I'm quite short and wear my guitars quite high so they were able to make custom length straps for me.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

You've been playing a wee girly student guitar and it's emasculated you... Man the fuck up... Man
XY
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Get a Mexican tele. They're pretty light and mine was only £270 second hand.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

timhulio wrote:Get a Mexican tele. They're pretty light and mine was only £270 second hand.
Yeah, but I love the neck on this one, and the pickups are ace too. A Mexican body would be good.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

My Avril Langina Tele is also heavy. I thought it was Mexican, but I realize I haven't checked.

- Indonesian
Last edited by mezzio13 on Fri May 09, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

just buy a affinity tele to play live
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

also, imagine the trouble that could arise from having sloan stand behind you for any amount of time....
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

You should change your username to GusWOMAN2x
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
dustandbarley

Post by dustandbarley »

+1 for a wider strap. Cheap solution and makes a big difference. Your Tele sounds like a great guitar to play :)
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

mkt3000 wrote:You should change your username to GusWOMAN2x
HAHAHAHAHAH...............lol. It's not Thursday
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

My tele I built out of Southern Ash and it's one of the lightest guitars I own. You might look for Ash one, thought Ash can vary in weight depending where it is from.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Aeon

Post by Aeon »

I think it's worth it to get a new body. My suggestion is to use a reputable custom builder and have them pick out a super light-weight body. I've used USACG in the past and I can assure you they are great. Then you could flip your current body to help recoup some of the cost.

I personally prefer guitars that are lighter. I don't think weight has all that much to do with "sustain" or even tone for a solid-body guitar, that's more a function of bridge design and overall construction. The tone tends to follow the neck more-so on bolt ons, so I don't think you'll notice a huge difference in tone if you do decide to swap the body.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Buy a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster body. Made of pine, quite light and nice plus can be had for a reasonable price.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Addam

Post by Addam »

taylornutt wrote:My tele I built out of Southern Ash and it's one of the lightest guitars I own. You might look for Ash one, thought Ash can vary in weight depending where it is from.
The Tele that I built is Ash, but really heavy. Something like 11lbs. I bought the wood as 'American Ash', my guess 'Northern' Ash.

Standing up and playing, I never a problem with the weight. That's using a normal Fender monogram strap, rather than a wide strap.
But moving the thing, leaning over picking it up from it's wall hanger, that weight is just unneccesary.

@Gusman; clearly you aren't happy with the feel of the guitar, which is the most important thing in an instrument, so change it!
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

MAN UP YA WUSS
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Get some of those compensated Tele saddles. They make a huge difference on any 3 saddle bridge.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

honeyiscool wrote:Get some of those compensated Tele saddles. They make a huge difference on any 3 saddle bridge.
oh yeah thats the obvious answer-- the tele wont intonate without them either lol http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251524242401?lpid=82
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

honeyiscool wrote:Get some of those compensated Tele saddles. They make a huge difference on any 3 saddle bridge.
Yeah, for the duo sonic? I was thinking that.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

gusman2x wrote:
Yeah, for the duo sonic? I was thinking that.
^This
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister