Martin Taylor Masterclass and Guitar Lesson

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

So this week I was fortunate enough to have a masterclass and one-to-one lesson with the legendary Jazz guitarist Martin Taylor.

This was a pretty big deal for me as he was one of the first jazz musicians I listened to when I was younger. So suffice to say it was pretty nerve-wracking, especially when I had to perform a solo piece during my lesson with him!

It was incredibly interesting to hear how his approach to solo guitar differs to the usual chord melody approach, he spoke of separating the bass chords and melody into three separate parts that can be manipulated individually. I can't wait to attempt to follow this idea.

It was also interesting to hear his process for learning solo pieces. He'll pick a guitar friendly key and transpose the piece to that. He then learns the melody and then learns a chord melody version, after this he just learns the melody with bassline, then adds in the 3rd, then adds in the 7th then adds in movement between the parts.

I had such a great time studying with him and he mentioned that I should have the opportunity again next year!
lorez

Post by lorez »

Wow that is amazing Gabriel, having a guitar lesson with a legend & a hero. His take on splitting the parts is interesting as well. Let us know how you get on applying it with some examples & explanations like you have in the past (if you get time)
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Paradigmforcosmos

Post by Paradigmforcosmos »

What did you play?
Vad skönt för en skald att få sova.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Paradigmforcosmos wrote:What did you play?
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I think he's enquiring about the choice of piece played.
Paradigmforcosmos

Post by Paradigmforcosmos »

BacchusPaul wrote:I think he's enquiring about the choice of piece played.
Correct.
Vad skönt för en skald att få sova.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

:|
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I played him a solo arrangement I have of Stella by Starlight. Was interesting to hear how he advised me in what more I could do to an arrangement (turns out there is a hell of a lot!).

Also I just found out today that he's become a permanent visiting professor so I should have a few more lessons over the next few years!