NDD - Gretsch Catalina Jazz

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

NDD - Gretsch Catalina Jazz

Post by Nick »

So our drummer quit a couple weeks ago, following me kicking our other guitarist. Seems impossible in my town to find a drummer for anything other than metal/punk/classic rock when you need one so I went out and bought my own kit to mess around with in the meantime.

I used to want the full size Gretsch Catalina, but because I wanted a smaller drum footprint in our practice space and something easier to transport I had my sights set on something smaller. Got the shell pack on clearance for $399 (from $679), some entry/mid grade cymbals and hardware about doubled the cost. I haven't been this satisfied with a new gear purchase in quite some time, this was exactly what I needed-I don't feel like I overspent or comprised at all.

This kit feels so alive in comparison to my old drummer's huge Mapex with 5 year old heads...it might also be that the size is better suited for me because I have a much easier time doing fills. Pics in a minute.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Damn, I just realized this thread should have probably been in the musical miscellany section. Mods, move as you see fit.
Beau

Post by Beau »

Mmm.

Time do slap down some LCD Soundsystem beats?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Did they use a kit similar to this? I do dig them.
Beau

Post by Beau »

Dunno about what brands he used, but the set up is almost exact to how he often had his.

Snare directly under him like yours.

paul_

Post by paul_ »

I've come very close to buying that shell pack a number of times to replace my brokeass ddrums, others from the Catalina series too... there always seems to be one Catalina kit deeply discounted at any given time of year. Ultimately I always end up deciding I don't deserve them at my skill level for both playing and recording drums.

Congrats Nick, they're sexy.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Damn that champagne sparkle looks sharp!
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
RastaSonic

Post by RastaSonic »

Sharp lookin kit there!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

laterallateral wrote:Damn that champagne sparkle looks sharp!
I'm very happy with the color....I was looking at the same kit in flat natural maple finish at another shop-the drum guy there was rude and condescending, as if it was paining him to have a conversation about drums with a non-drummer. It was also $25 more there. Kind of sucks because I've given that store a lot of my business over the years. Completely different experience at Guitar Center oddly enough.