Will it fit? (Neck swap question)

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

astro

Will it fit? (Neck swap question)

Post by astro »

I have a '69 RI CIJ Mustang. I love the guitar, but the 7.25 radius just isn't comfortable for me. I also have a Squier strat jack Jaguar HH, and the neck feels fantastic and is just easier to play. So now I barely touch the Mustang, even though I love the sound and the trem.

I want to swap the neck on the mustang for one with a 9.5 radius. I don't want to take the neck off of the Jag, since that guitar is perfect as it is. So I plan on buying a replacement neck for the Mustang and selling (or trading) the stock neck.

It seems that Japanese Fenders have measurements that are just slightly different than Fenders and Squiers from all other countries of origin. Their pickguards only fit on other Japanese guitars of the same model, etc. All the other countries seem to make their guitars to the same dimensions as American specs.

Is this also true of the neck pocket dimensions? Will a non-Japanese neck heel be slightly too small or too big for a Japanese body? I ask because there don't seem to be any Japanese Mustang necks with a 9.5 radius. I'll probably buy a Squier Mustang/Jaguar neck since I know I like them, but I might consider a Modern Player or American Special neck if I can get one for a good price.

Anybody have any experience with such a setup?
Rox

Post by Rox »

It should fit . If you have both why not try it ? The worst that can happen is it doesn't line up. Should though . Ovbiously you'll have to take the time to set the guitar up for the new neck .

As for the Japanese stuff fitting only Japanese stuff ? Not always .. I got a 62AVRI Jag pickguard to fit a Jag Special. I just needed to unscrew the plates and position them a little differently . Obviously the holes ddin't line up and I had to make new holes but you can get them to fit .
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Not sure if it will fit, but I'm guessing it won't be a perfect fit if you get it to work at all.

You might try to look for a Japanese Pawnshop Mustang neck. Pretty sure those are 9.5. Might be a better fit since it is also MIJ. Plus it is an amazing neck. I found it extremely comfortable and easy to play.

AFAIK, all other MIJ stangs are reissues and thus have the 7.25 vintage correct radius. Even the Cobainstang is supposed to be based on a vintage with mods, I think.

Also note that your 69 RI bridge was made for a 7.25 radius. You may be OK with the bridge as-is or you may want to replace it with a StayTrem 9.5 Mustang bridge. The Squier bridges are not highly recommended.
Last edited by singlepup on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Rox wrote:It should fit . If you have both why not try it ? The worst that can happen is it doesn't line up. Should though . Ovbiously you'll have to take the time to set the guitar up for the new neck
Not a bad idea at all... Take apart your current Squier just to see if it fits.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I would be more worried about a scale difference. Squier loves to throw conversion necks on everything.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Fender Japan necks are wider than US ones, and the current VM series Jags and JMs are to US specs. I don't know about the strat jack ones.

Like others have said, try it with your existing Jag HH, it'll be immediately obvious.
astro

Post by astro »

I'd rather not swap the necks on the two guitars, as both have really good setups and I don't want to mess them up. However if no one has first hand experience that they can share, that's what I'll eventually do to figure it out. If/when I do I will post my findings.

If they don't fit, this would be the perfect excuse for a new project...
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

It will cost you very little money to just buy a Squier Mustang. If it works out for you as it is, keep it. You can swap the neck with your MIJ just to try it. You're clearly not opposed to buying a neck with the Squier badge on it, so why not just buy a Squier Mustang? Just upgrade pickups and it should be great. Remember, if you buy a Squier neck for a Fender Mustang, you'll have to change the bridge to a 9.5" one, whereas the Squier Mustang comes stock with a 9.5" radius bridge.

Then you can just sell your Fender Mustang as a whole and have money left over.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
astro

Post by astro »

honeyiscool wrote:It will cost you very little money to just buy a Squier Mustang. If it works out for you as it is, keep it. You can swap the neck with your MIJ just to try it. You're clearly not opposed to buying a neck with the Squier badge on it, so why not just buy a Squier Mustang? Just upgrade pickups and it should be great. Remember, if you buy a Squier neck for a Fender Mustang, you'll have to change the bridge to a 9.5" one, whereas the Squier Mustang comes stock with a 9.5" radius bridge.

Then you can just sell your Fender Mustang as a whole and have money left over.
That's a good idea but I prefer contoured bodies, which rules out a complete Squier Mustang as they are slab bodied. My current Mustang already has upgraded pickups which I love (Duncan Antiquities) and I plan on putting a Warmoth modified Mustang bridge when I upgrade the neck. Plus I like neither the tort nor the pearloid pickguard material that Squier uses, I find both butt ugly and I would have to get a new pickguard or else forever play the guitar with my eyes closed. My current Japanese Mustang has a black pickguard, for 70's mojo.

Also, I have no idea if there are issues with the Squier Mustang bridge. I've seen plenty of people online complain that the Squier Jag/JM bridge is cheaply built and has more issues than a fender one. So I might have to upgrade that anyway if I get a Squier. Plus I noticed that the Squier Mustang bridge has small narrow saddles like a Jag/JM saddle (but without the screw thread grooves). I have no idea if that affects anything sound wise. I've used Warmoth Modified Mustang bridges on two guitars before and it works great so I would stick with that. It's a rock solid bridge so I know I would have no issues.
dren68

Post by dren68 »

Generally, the Japanese necks and neck pockets are a little wider, so a non-Japanese neck would probably be a little smaller width-wise. Just thought I'd mention that.