Pimp My Bronco

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

decorators_radio

Pimp My Bronco

Post by decorators_radio »

Hi all.

For a bit of experience and something to do, I'm going to pimp up an old Squier Bronco I managed to pickup on Ebay for under £50.

I used to have a Mustang a few years back and regret selling it on now, but hay-ho.

I know there are/have been a few Bronco posts on here but not in recent history and I have a question that hopefully you good people will be able to assist with:

I'm looking at the Seymour Duncan SCPB-1 pup to slot in which I think will require relatively little body and woodwork. This selection however does pose me with an issue - the pole width of the pup will be slightly greater than the existing string setup. I'm looking to swapout the bridge anyway, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas/opinions on the best/most suitable bridge to accompany the SD SCPB-1?

I'm a little bit of a novice as far as mods go, so please correct me if i'm on the wrong track.

Thanks in advance,
Stuart.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Swapping out the bridge to a different string spacing sounds like more work than it is worth (and could cause issues with playability at the neck).

Personally, I would go ahead and put the pickup in and just not worry about string spacing. It'll sound fine, it might just look a bit off which can annoy some people.
George

Post by George »

Ja. String spacing change won't really work because things won't line up properly in a straight swap

That pickup looks like the weedy one that came on my cv p bass. I would recommend the quarter pounder version instead. It really thumps but keeps a vintage enough sound, and the pole pieces are nice and wide so your string mismatch won't be as problematic
decorators_radio

Post by decorators_radio »

Thanks everyone.

Swaping ot the bridge is not really a big deal as I'm doing a complete repaint of the body anyway. I would also like to upgrade from the 2 saddle to a 4 saddle for better setup.

The problem is, there's probbly too many options.....but i'm happy to do a little mo research and see what happens.

I'm in no rush, prob take me a year or so to get this sorted.

Just out of interest - which bridges have you used to replace the stock Bronco one?

Cheers,
Stuart.
LizardKing

Re: Pimp My Bronco

Post by LizardKing »

decorators_radio wrote:Hi all.

For a bit of experience and something to do, I'm going to pimp up an old Squier Bronco I managed to pickup on Ebay for under £50.

I used to have a Mustang a few years back and regret selling it on now, but hay-ho.

I know there are/have been a few Bronco posts on here but not in recent history and I have a question that hopefully you good people will be able to assist with:

I'm looking at the Seymour Duncan SCPB-1 pup to slot in which I think will require relatively little body and woodwork. This selection however does pose me with an issue - the pole width of the pup will be slightly greater than the existing string setup. I'm looking to swapout the bridge anyway, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas/opinions on the best/most suitable bridge to accompany the SD SCPB-1?

I'm a little bit of a novice as far as mods go, so please correct me if i'm on the wrong track.

Thanks in advance,
Stuart.
Stuart, what you MUST do with this geetar is paint it in gold metalflake.
Make sure you use use the HUGE ASS FLAKES if you want to be a cool kid.

and a chrome pickguard.....