teisco inspired mustang build

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

cur

teisco inspired mustang build

Post by cur »

Thinking of doing something on the lines of this. I always dig the 60's teisco vibe, except for their donk headstocks.

Pretty much need to go with this style of bridge because the pups are flush mount. The neck would be a 24" conversion neck from a jagmaster (9.5" radius). This is one of my favorite necks. Probably paint neck and headstock glossy black.

Does it seem to flow nice or is it not right?

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

That kind of bridge needs a bit of height, you can't get it as low as other bridges, for example strat or tele bridges.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
cur

Post by cur »

I know. The pickups will be pretty high off the body so I will need the increased distance. They are compensated for bridge and neck position, in that one is taller than the other. If I use a strat bridge the strings will rest on top of the pups.

I will route a test slab to fit the neck, bridge and pups before doing any routing to the guitar body to make sure everything jives.

cooter

Post by cooter »

Yeah, cool idea. I'd tune in to see that.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
cur

Post by cur »

Cooter approval is always a plus. BTW, did you ever try these pups out?

YuriK

Post by YuriK »

Its purty
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
cooter

Post by cooter »

cur wrote:Cooter approval is always a plus. BTW, did you ever try these pups out?
Yes, when they were in the Teisco Tulip guitar. The guitar didn't play that great but the pickups sounded
amazing. You can nail pretty much anything in the Dirtbombs catalog with those pickups.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

i like these better than normal mustangs. just looks alot nicer.
cur

Post by cur »

I can dig it.
[youtube][/youtube]

YuriK

Post by YuriK »

cur wrote:I can dig it.
[youtube][/youtube]
I was hoping thisd be shaft
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
sunshiner

Re: teisco inspired mustang build

Post by sunshiner »

cur wrote: Probably paint neck and headstock glossy black.
That was my idea about my secret project. Get out of my head!
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

That model of wraparound bridge that you chose is a quest to find for cheap. Actually it is Tonepros that costs something like $80 or $90. But there is a cheap copy of it that can be seen on some cheap guitars like SX or Johnson and it rarely appears, on ebay at least. The only solution of intonable bridge that market offers for cheap is this copy of Leo Quan Badass bridge

And this thing is VERY tall. If you decide to use it, the neck angle should be quite steep. As another option you can use usual tune-o-matic, that is a better bridge than Leo Quan IMO.
cur

Post by cur »

here is the profile of the tulip pickups. I plan to surface mount to the body slab.

cooter

Post by cooter »

sunshiner wrote:That model of wraparound bridge that you chose is a quest to find for cheap. Actually it is Tonepros that costs something like $80 or $90. But there is a cheap copy of it that can be seen on some cheap guitars like SX or Johnson and it rarely appears, on ebay at least. The only solution of intonable bridge that market offers for cheap is this copy of Leo Quan Badass bridge

And this thing is VERY tall. If you decide to use it, the neck angle should be quite steep. As another option you can use usual tune-o-matic, that is a better bridge than Leo Quan IMO.
I bought one of the Leo Quan copies for a Kalamazoo KG2 project. I wasn't expecting much because it was so cheap but it's actually pretty solid.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
cur

Post by cur »

GFS makes a copy of the badass, is that the one you got?

cooter

Post by cooter »

cur wrote:GFS makes a copy of the badass, is that the one you got?
No, I got mine off ebay. The GFS one is probably better than mine.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

cooterfinger wrote:
sunshiner wrote:That model of wraparound bridge that you chose is a quest to find for cheap. Actually it is Tonepros that costs something like $80 or $90. But there is a cheap copy of it that can be seen on some cheap guitars like SX or Johnson and it rarely appears, on ebay at least. The only solution of intonable bridge that market offers for cheap is this copy of Leo Quan Badass bridge

I bought one of the Leo Quan copies for a Kalamazoo KG2 project. I wasn't expecting much because it was so cheap but it's actually pretty solid.
Yes it is solid, I tried one on the Junior project. I didn't like that it was very tall. If the neck angle is not enough, the guitar will have high action. And in terms of playability I don't like the tall bridge under my wrist. If with tune-o-matic you have a stoptail and you can put your wrist on the strings that go from TOM to the stoptail, with Leo Quan you can't do this and your wrist has to hang out in the air between bridge and the body of the guitar. Maybe with the bridge that is not that tall the situation will be better.

I'm sorry for the offtop, but I will be glad to see Kalamazoo KG2 project here on the forum :) I'm a big fan of all Melody Maker related guitar family and it is always interesting and useful for me to see your work
cooter

Post by cooter »

sunshiner wrote:I'm sorry for the offtop, but I will be glad to see Kalamazoo KG2 project here on the forum :) I'm a big fan of all Melody Maker related guitar family and it is always interesting and useful for me to see your work
Thanks. I'll definitely post pics when it's done.
I've got to get a few of these projects finished so I can try and trade cur something for the Teisco Stang build when he gets it done.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
cur

Post by cur »

just ordered this off of ebay

cur

Post by cur »

Thinking of this for the neck. The neck I have was a sweet deal from brainfur due to the unique totally mods it had. So I am looking at making it into a headstock like an old Norma neck, but adjust for the tuner holes that are there.