How do you record acoustic guitar?

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Freethenoise

How do you record acoustic guitar?

Post by Freethenoise »

This is how I've always done it, how the fuck do you prefer to do it?

[youtube][/youtube]
visceral

Post by visceral »

I don't see anything wrong with your way. I've mic'd the fretboard with a dynamic like a sm57 or a beta57/58. I throw a condenser mic on the body and maybe even another dynamic mic near the sound hole. All the meanwhile taking a direct line-in if the acoustic guitar is able. Also, I think it just depends on the style of the musician on how one should record. Realize if he/she play with a pick or his/her fingers, is he/she percussive (drumming on the body,) does the musician play with a lot of fret buzz/swamp sound versus clean acoustic precise picking, etc. These things play a role in capturing the environment and vibe of the individual by mic placement or techniques. You can even consider the mixing perspective. Do you pan mics based on the perspective of the listener or the performer? Its up to you. Thats always been a huge thing recording drums (which perspective to pan)...not to tangent. I hope that helps contribute.