One piece short scale build

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

sixsixsix

One piece short scale build

Post by sixsixsix »

First post! I am not even sure if I was aware of this forum until today. I am not a very flexible person, so find even regular length guitars uncomfortable to play.

Here are some pics of a short scale guitar I am building. It's made from one piece of soft maple (except the fretboard). 24" scale, with a flat, wide neck - 2" at the nut. I wanted to try a few different things, so figured I'd build them all into one guitar.

It will end up being dyed red, with a black pickguard. It is a little bit of a homage to Brian May's Red Special. I am calling it "Special Red". Soon I will be building a 28" bass. but that is a topic for another thread...

Fresh off the CNC. The drop on the headstock is more than needed, and the horns are too... horney. I am pretty sure frets past the 12th are just for show, but I suppose access to them shouldn't be painful. I ended up cutting them back later on.

Mock up with a temporary pick guard I made from teak. I may reposition the knobs. There is a switch under there, but I am probably going to rewire just as two volume knobs - one for each pickup.

Rosewood fretboard with maple inlays.

After carving the neck some, and sanding the fretboard. I don't have a bit small enough to cut fret slots, so I used a v-bit to start the slots, to be finished by hand later. You can see the cut back horns here.

Frets! I filled the fret slots in with gel superglue the pressed the stainless steel frets in. They still need to be leveled and dressed.

That's all for now.
Last edited by sixsixsix on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

this looks like some sort of wacked out 60s cartoon guitar and i fucking love it, cant wait to see more of it
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Yup, pretty wacky shape. Usually the kinda of thing I don't like, but in this case I do. Really like the scratchplate design you came up with. Don't think I've seen one quite like it. Nice
cur

Post by cur »

Nice stuff. I like wider flat necks too. Maybe not 2", but you gotta do what you gotta do. Trans red with glossy, black pickgaurd will look cool.

plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

daftsupernova wrote:this looks like some sort of wacked out 60s cartoon guitar and i fucking love it, cant wait to see more of it
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Skills!
sixsixsix

Post by sixsixsix »

Thanks guys

Funny enough, the shape and colour I went with sort of surprised me as I like pointy black guitars for the most part. I got to the point that I just wanted to start on it, and I had this shape all ready to go.
sixsixsix

Post by sixsixsix »

A bit of progress.

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Pictures aren't working for me, which is a shame because I was quite excited by this thread the last time I was looking at it.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Working for me. Looks kewl.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.