Custom Shop '51 Nocaster

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Custom Shop '51 Nocaster

Post by westtexasred »

Just when I thought I'm done buying guitars I see this (link)

2006 Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster

Body Color: Coral Pink

Body Material: 2 PC ASH

Body Finish: Lacquer

Tuners: Vintage

Bridge Assembly: ’51 Nocaster

Control Assembly: ’51 Nocaster

Knob: ’51 Nocaster

Neck Pickup: ’51 Nocaster Neck Pickup

Bridge Pickup: ’51 Nocaster Bridge Pickup

Custom ‘60s Tele Neck

Shape: Mid ‘60s style Oval “C�

Fingerboard Radius: 7.25�

Neck Thickness at 1st fret: .790�

Neck Thickness at 12th fret: .930�

Neck Blank Guitar: Maple Plain Grain

Side Dot: Micarta White 3/32�

Face Dot: Micarta White .250

Fret Wire: Vintage Gutiar

Truss Rod: ‘60s

Nut: STD FB Blank

Neck Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer

Fingerboard: Rosewood Indian 6MM

Standard ’51 Nocaster pickguard

Super Relic
Last edited by westtexasred on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Re: Custom Shop '51 Nocaster

Post by Nick »

westtexasred wrote:Just when I thought I'm done buying guitars
ROFL
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

Haha,I really tried.Ah well fuck it. You know what Ekhardt Tolle says..."Resist nothing". That's The Power of Now.

Anyway,I think my compulsion to buy this guitar is is linked this photo of an original Tahitian Coral Stratocaster which I first saw a couple of years ago.

It's a color you don't see often and I think it looks even better the way it has amber-ed on this Blackguard.

The rosewood fretboard with clay dots is the icing on the cake. That is why I couldn't resist bidding.

Seriously,that has to be one of the coolest CS teles I have seen.

Fakir Mustache

Re: Custom Shop '51 Nocaster

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Nick wrote:
westtexasred wrote:Just when I thought I'm done buying guitars
ROFL
Yeah, I thought you were just into buying cheapies now.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

westtexasred wrote:Ah well fuck it.
:D :D :D
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

It's very nice and cool as frig but I find the designation "Nocaster" confusing when combined with a 60s neck. What's Nocastery about apart from it not saying Telecaster on the headstock?

Or rather, how is this not a 60s tele with Nocaster pickups?

It is gorgeous though.
HNB

Post by HNB »

There is NO END. (Only lulls and surges...)
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Please don't ever stop buying guitars. I live vicariously through you.
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

Haha,thanks. Here is a photo of the neck

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Will you ever do an demo?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Bacchus wrote:It's very nice and cool as frig but I find the designation "Nocaster" confusing when combined with a 60s neck. What's Nocastery about apart from it not saying Telecaster on the headstock?

It is gorgeous though.
I resisted posting this EXACTLY for fear of seeming trainspotty but yeah. It actually is like a Nocaster with a '60s Tele neck stuck on it given the bridge hardware (and bakelite/flatheads, to get a little nerdier) but the neck pretty much makes a Fender... especially a Strat/Tele where everything else apart from electrical component tolerances (which accounts for 50s/60s pickups) is almost guaranteed to be the same.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

DO AN DEMO NOW.

THAT THING IS SO FUCKIN 80'S HOLY SHIT.

DEMO LOVE BITES ON IT RIGHT NOW
dots wrote:incesticide
paul_

Post by paul_ »

robroe wrote:THAT THING IS SO FUCKIN 80'S
Personally struck me as '70s looking. And it's spec'd from 50s/60s parts.

THESIS: hodge-podge
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

paul_ wrote:
Bacchus wrote:It's very nice and cool as frig but I find the designation "Nocaster" confusing when combined with a 60s neck. What's Nocastery about apart from it not saying Telecaster on the headstock?

It is gorgeous though.
I resisted posting this EXACTLY for fear of seeming trainspotty but yeah. It actually is like a Nocaster with a '60s Tele neck stuck on it given the bridge hardware (and bakelite/flatheads, to get a little nerdier) but the neck pretty much makes a Fender... especially a Strat/Tele where everything else apart from electrical component tolerances (which accounts for 50s/60s pickups) is almost guaranteed to be the same.
Yep, but a 60s neck wouldn't be a Nocaster neck and would say Telecaster on it.

I suppose that's the point of the Custom Shop though, that they can do magic like this and build "what if..." guitars.

I should reiterate lest I sound grouchy, the thing is gorgeous and I'm very, very jealous.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

coral pink? more like Aged Fiesta
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

brainfur wrote:coral pink? more like Aged Fiesta

Although that was the conventional wisdom for many years that all the "Salmon Pink or "Coral Pink" vintage strats were actually "Fiesta Red" that had aged, It now has been confirmed that Fender DID actually make a real Coral Pink Strat. The guitar below was verified by Daves Guitars and featured in an article published in a 2009 issue of "Premier Guitar Magazine"

ImageImage

Here is an excerpt from the article:

"This Strat has a penciled neck date of 3-61, and has all the features typical to Strats of that year. These include: a slab Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with clay dots; a small headstock with spaghetti decal, including two patent numbers; and a greenish Nitrate 3-ply pickguard with a metal shielding plate underneath. The neck profile is very flat and comfortable, like most of the early slab board necks.

Besides having all the classic characteristics that make early ‘60s Strats appealing to players and collectors, this one has an ultra-rare color. According to an old piece of masking tape attached under the pickguard, the color is Tahitian Coral (a color of the same name was used by Chrysler in the late ‘50s). This non-standard color was not mentioned in any Fender catalogs (the closest official Fender color at the time was Shell Pink, listed from 1960–1963). An undercoat of Desert Sand can be seen where the top color has worn off. Proof that this color is factory original can be seen after unscrewing the neck. An area of paint from the body has stuck to the neck leaving a bare spot in the neck pocket that is an exact match to the glob stuck to the neck."

I'm pretty sure that it is not the only guitar Fender made in Coral Pink. I posted these pictures on The RickResource Forum back in 2009 when the article was published and Paul Wilczynski, the Luthier who builds all the acoustic model guitars for Rickenbacker, said this:

"I owned an early Jazzmaster in exactly this shade, painted over a sunburst. At the time I owned the guitar, I matched the color to a DuPont chip. It was a '55 Chevrolet color called, simply, "Coral". When I put it up for sale in '97, I got lots of interest. The three guys who came to the house wanted me to pull the neck, but I resisted. It eventually went, sight unseen, to a buyer in Switzerland in 2001. I knew it was original, but did not know how rare this color is."
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

westtexasred wrote:
brainfur wrote:coral pink? more like Aged Fiesta

Although that was the conventional wisdom for many years that all the "Salmon Pink or "Coral Pink" vintage strats were actually "Fiesta Red" that had aged, It now has been confirmed that Fender DID actually make a real Coral Pink Strat. The guitar below was verified by Daves Guitars and featured in an article published in a 2009 issue of "Premier Guitar Magazine"

ImageImage

Here is an excerpt from the article:

"This Strat has a penciled neck date of 3-61, and has all the features typical to Strats of that year. These include: a slab Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with clay dots; a small headstock with spaghetti decal, including two patent numbers; and a greenish Nitrate 3-ply pickguard with a metal shielding plate underneath. The neck profile is very flat and comfortable, like most of the early slab board necks.

Besides having all the classic characteristics that make early ‘60s Strats appealing to players and collectors, this one has an ultra-rare color. According to an old piece of masking tape attached under the pickguard, the color is Tahitian Coral (a color of the same name was used by Chrysler in the late ‘50s). This non-standard color was not mentioned in any Fender catalogs (the closest official Fender color at the time was Shell Pink, listed from 1960–1963). An undercoat of Desert Sand can be seen where the top color has worn off. Proof that this color is factory original can be seen after unscrewing the neck. An area of paint from the body has stuck to the neck leaving a bare spot in the neck pocket that is an exact match to the glob stuck to the neck."

I'm pretty sure that it is not the only guitar Fender made in Coral Pink. I posted these pictures on The RickResource Forum back in 2009 when the article was published and Paul Wilczynski, the Luthier who builds all the acoustic model guitars for Rickenbacker, said this:

"I owned an early Jazzmaster in exactly this shade, painted over a sunburst. At the time I owned the guitar, I matched the color to a DuPont chip. It was a '55 Chevrolet color called, simply, "Coral". When I put it up for sale in '97, I got lots of interest. The three guys who came to the house wanted me to pull the neck, but I resisted. It eventually went, sight unseen, to a buyer in Switzerland in 2001. I knew it was original, but did not know how rare this color is."

Hmmmm, looks liek aged fiesta red to me... :lol:
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

brainfur wrote:
Hmmmm, looks liek aged fiesta red to me... :lol:
Yes,they do look similar.That'a the 1961 Tahitian Coral on the left and a 1961 Fiesta Red on the right.

ImageImage
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

welp. both are beautiful old colours!
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

Here is a photo of an unrestored 1955 Chevy Bel Air with original Coral and Gray factory paint job (link)

Last edited by westtexasred on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.