Slide overdrive shootout (Barber, Boss, Greer, Joyo)

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Freethenoise

Slide overdrive shootout (Barber, Boss, Greer, Joyo)

Post by Freethenoise »

I felt a right dick bringing a second guitar to gigs for a single song we play in open G, so I've been writing a lot more in that tuning and working on slide stuff. I noticed that some overdrives react a little differently when playing slide (or maybe I just play weird, who knows?) so I made this video to see the differences.

The pedals are the Barber Gain Changer, Boss OD-3, Greer Ghetto Stomp and Joyo Ultimate Drive.

[youtube][/youtube]
George

Post by George »

nice demo. boss sounds best in my opinion. i'd also recommend sticking a klon type drive in front of it to boost it. it's amazing for slide guitar.
Freethenoise

Post by Freethenoise »

George wrote:nice demo. boss sounds best in my opinion. i'd also recommend sticking a klon type drive in front of it to boost it. it's amazing for slide guitar.
Hmm, that's interesting. I might have to give that a go with the Klon-esque mode on the Gain Changer and see what comes of it.
Sounds like a pedal buddies episode...
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Traditionally you just get a small amp and crank.

But good video and nice playing.

For some reason I liked the Boss the least, I thought it sounded too heavy and produced for blues, maybe better for hard rock or something.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
George

Post by George »

Fakir Mustache wrote:Traditionally you just get a small amp and crank
this is why pedals were invented ^__________________________________^
Freethenoise

Post by Freethenoise »

Fakir Mustache wrote:Traditionally you just get a small amp and crank.

But good video and nice playing.

For some reason I liked the Boss the least, I thought it sounded too heavy and produced for blues, maybe better for hard rock or something.
That's actually why I bought the Ghetto Stomp. The only small amps I own are a Champion 600 Reissue (that I've modded to tweed champ spec) and a Princeton Reverb. Neither of those amps are really loud enough to comfortably play the kind of gigs I do in my band. The Ghetto Stomp gives the sound of a small, piece of shit Valco amp cranked right up. I really like it in that regard.

I love the OD-3 for crunchy rhythm playing, and I totally get what you're saying. It does sound pretty 'hi-fi' in comparison to the others.

The Gain Changer is still my favorite I think.