Staytrem bridge on a Starcaster?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Noisy Cat

Staytrem bridge on a Starcaster?

Post by Noisy Cat »

I notice that nowadays Staytrem offer a drop-in bridge for AOMs... what advantages if any would this bring to my Starcaster? Correct 9.5" radius? I read somewhere that Fender AOMs don't match the neck radius.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Presumably the biggest change would be the feel, Stang style bridges and TOMs impart a very different feel on picking and strumming... but as for the radius, if Fender AOMs are just generic Asian TOMs (likely on those MIMs/Squier Mascis guitars) they would have a 12" radius over a 9.5" fingerboard radius. Not a huge discrepancy, and some people don't have their height-adjustable saddles radiused to the neck anyway, but that too would make a difference in feel as the action on the outer strings would be slightly lower.

Basically it'd make the guitar less Gibsony and more old-school Fendery.

Edit-apparently the AOMs have a 10.5" radius.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Noisy Cat

Post by Noisy Cat »

Thanks, yeah I thought as much. This whole 'different feel' idea though – is this an actual thing?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Don't know how Staytrems feel but the difference between a Mustang bridge and TOM on my Jaguar is quite different to the picking hand for jangly strumming, bends and so on (I've gone back and forth on vintage and kurdtzy setups for 15 years depending on what I'm using it for). I remember trying the TOM on my Jag-Stang too back in the '90s and thinking it made a similar difference in feel on that guitar.

Again, I don't know how the Staytrem compares in this regard.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Yes, but is the Staytrem "drop in replacement for AOM" really a modified mustang bridge (like other Staytrems) or is it just a TOM designed and manufactured by Staytrem? If it's the latter, shouldn't change the feel really... But perhaps adds plastic bits for increased stability?

The Staytrem site is still down so I can't have a look at the bridge...
Noisy Cat

Post by Noisy Cat »

singlepickup24 wrote:Yes, but is the Staytrem "drop in replacement for AOM" really a modified mustang bridge (like other Staytrems) or is it just a TOM designed and manufactured by Staytrem? If it's the latter, shouldn't change the feel really... But perhaps adds plastic bits for increased stability?

The Staytrem site is still down so I can't have a look at the bridge...
There's a link to the eBay listing in my original post...

It's Mustang-style saddles as per the other Staytrem bridges, but I guess the whole thing would be non-rocking.
Last edited by Noisy Cat on Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Ah, missed the link but it no longer works. Your description is good enough. I suppose the saddles would change the temperment of the bridge a bit, but the rocking element is really what differentiates a Mustang bridge from a TOM... Right?

Maybe just email John directly and post his response. I'm curious now...
Noisy Cat

Post by Noisy Cat »

No mention of whether or not it's fixed, but I would guess so from the photo. But then there's no trem on a Starcaster, so it wouldn't have rocked anyway...

Staytrem bridge for Classic Player Jaguar / Jazzmaster, Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster and Pawn Shop Jaguarillo
Vintage style bridge with Mustang style saddles.

Drop in replacement, fits onto existing Adjusto-Matic support posts without modification.

Precision made in the UK, all metal parts are stainless steel.

Intonation adjusting screws are hexagon and not Phillips, adjustment is easier with ball ended Allen key (included with purchase).

A common problem with the standard vintage style bridge is that the intonation adjustment screws can vibrate loose,
this will not happen with the Staytrem bridge, the screws are held securely in place without springs.

E to E string spacing is 52mm, same as the Ajusto-Matic.

The saddles are preset to the correct fretboard radius 9½ inch, standard for the above listed models, so individual adjustment screws are not necessary.