Looking For New Interface

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

what should I buy?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:33 pm

SLOAN (counts as a vote for UR44)
No votes
SLOAN (counts as a vote for UR28M)
50%
SLOAN (counts as a vote for other)
50%

Total votes: 2
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Looking For New Interface

Post by serfx »

So i'm looking to upgrade my recording interface that I use for demo stuff around the apartment with something I can also transfer into the jam space to get a few ore mics on things, or just whip out a live off the floor demo with a bit of separation.

right now i'm rocking a Tascam Us-122MkII
info here
basicly its a 2 track usb input offers midi control and has RCa output to go with the USB should I need to run line audio out (plus headphone out for monitoring direct input) each channel can do stereo or mono etc.
it's been great for me for the past few years, and for a while I was using it with my Mackie 24*8 as the interface from the board out to computer to capture some live audio at gigs.
however i don't use the mackie much these days (no space, and the power supply got fucked when the jam space flooded)

anyways, i'm trying to decide between a couple of Steinberg models
(I use cuebase for recording, and its also what gets used where I usually go to do tracking)

First up is the Steinberg UR44
Info here

6x4 USB 2.0 audio interface with 4x D-PREs, 24-bit/192 kHz support & MIDI I/O

Lastly is the Steinberg UR28M
Info here

6-in/8-out USB 2.0 audio interface with 2x D-PREs and 3x3 monitoring matrix

Both offer the ability to run into an ipad (via camera connection kit) where you can record to the app, and then drop it to your main system at a later date. as well as work with other apps via standard ASIO connections, and i'll be using that quite a bit when i'm out, as hauling the mac mini is a pain, and the laptop just becomes cumbersome after a while (also i use an ipad mini)

anyways, thoughts, opinions, other options?

i'm not tied to either, and the ipad recording is more cool useful then necessary, as i can always just take my laptop instead.
price wise there is only about $50 between them, and both are available locally sourced.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Sorry. I have zero experience with any of these. Are you tied to Steinberg? Only asking cos when I was asking about for a recommendation for a good card no-one suggested any of these.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Re. your complaint in the pub:
Sorry. I have zero experience with any of these, or any others. That's why I didn't vote.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

Thomas wrote:Sorry. I have zero experience with any of these. Are you tied to Steinberg? Only asking cos when I was asking about for a recommendation for a good card no-one suggested any of these.
for my daw, sort of, though I use reaper and logic as well

for my hardware, not at all.
just like the idea of it playing well with the ipad, though it isn't a necesity.

ideally i'm after an 8 in an usb/firwire out (individual channels etc)
with option for expansion later (like the now discontinued firepod that did 8in and could daisy chain up to 4 total for 32 tracks)

hardware with Asio under $400 USD is pretty much my requirements
and being portable enough to grab sound recordings off the board at gigs (most venues I play have direct analog outs from each channel, or the obvious mixed stereo out that runs to the p.a. as well)
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

I've been looking at this focusrite Scarlett studio bundle that had a focusrite interface, whole set came with a condenser, headphones and cables. looked pretty nice and I think it got good reviews, it'd only 250usd, I figured it'd be worth checking out when I got some cash.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Focusrite preamps are awesome IMO. But that doesn't answer your original question at all. Sorry, no experience with Steinberg either.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Focusrite are great, they have serious issues if you're using mac tho (mavericks and above). For PC they're great.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

In the spirit of not answering your original question but recommending Focusrite, I have a Scarlett 8i6 (possibly discontinued now) and have not had any issues with it. Preamps sound good (to my untrained ears) and it's been reliable and easy to use.

I am using it with Reaper. Edit: on a PC.
Last edited by BearBoy on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Thomas wrote:Focusrite are great, they have serious issues if you're using mac tho (mavericks and above). For PC they're great.
Oh rly? That's very disappointing.

Edit: I just checked, and their iTrack Solo (designed specifically for iOS use) requires an adapter to work with the lightening input. Lightening has been standard for two years now!

As a Mac guy, I have to change my vote to Apogee. It'll def be expensive to get an Apogee device with a lot of inputs tho.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

singlepickup24 wrote:Edit: I just checked, and their iTrack Solo (designed specifically for iOS use) requires an adapter to work with the lightening input. Lightening has been standard for two years now!
Think they do two versions:
Focusrite wrote:A certified "Made for iPad" device, we have one version of iTrack Solo for Lightningâ„¢ compatible iPads and another for earlier generation devices.
LANK
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Ah, I missed that... I went straight to the system reqs page. Good catch!
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

very interesting.

yeah i record with either a macbook pro running mavricks
or a mac mini running mavricks

I do have an older vista laptop to use, but i would prefer not to.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I like my Tascam US-1800 so that gets my vote
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

As for the Focusrite having an ios specific version, I'd still avoid it. Their issues across ios devices on mavericks and above are well documented. Even using the "fixes" they suggest you still get random crackles and pops. That's on a top end Macbook on Mavericks. Shitty old pc? well it works great on that no latency etc etc. Latency on the mac is shit (even the direct monitoring option they have doesn't fix the issues.)