Any tips on sanding down a neck?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

HellaMelos

Any tips on sanding down a neck?

Post by HellaMelos »

In an earlier post I mentioned that I could feel the stripe on the back of my Supersonic's neck. I have decided to sand down the neck and refinish it with TruOil.

Any tips on this? I'm honestly a little nervous. I don't normally work on my guitars, but I figure what the hell now is the best time to start.

**edit** I see I may have posted this in the wrong forum, but I trust you guys.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Ive got a similar urge to sand the gloss finish off one of my 12-strings in the hope that it opens up the sound and resonates better, but people seem to think that's a terrible idea, even though I've got a guitar that came "open pore" with no gloss at all.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

I've never done it, but I have some baseball bat necks that I've always wanted to sand the profiles down to something more comfortable. Maybe some day I'll find the courage?
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
cur

Post by cur »

What is the finish like on the neck now? Thick poly? Thin and natural?

I would not start with too aggressive of sand paper. Probably I would start with 600 grit and if that is not cutting it go down to 400. Get the paper a good width to hold in your hand - maybe like 4" x 12 and then fold it over itself twice. around curved sections, use small pieces on your finger tips. Sand by placing in your palm and check your progress often. Use paper towels to wipe of the dust. Close your eyes and run your finger over the ridge of the skunk stripe until you don't notice it.

I use Danish oil, but the same should apply for truoil. Once down to raw wood, take a paper towel and apply the truoil to it. wipe it on the neck so it is thick. let it absorb and penetrate. Keep it on there, thick and wet and let it sit for 20 minutes. then take a dry towel and wipe off excess. reapply several times with thick coats for 20 minutes. let it set for a couple days to set up and then repeat the process a couple of times. If you need to, use some #000 steel wool to lightly sand surface. Probably will not be necessary to do this because you will have started with a nice smooth surface and you have rubbed off excess oil between applications.

visceral

Post by visceral »

Ive heard of people using scotch brite pads but I wonder how well that works.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

You guys think the same process of sanding and then repeatedly oiling the body of an acoustic guitar would be safe to do? I'd sand by hand of course not a belt sander..