Incoming project...DONE

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

Incoming project...DONE

Post by Thomas »

As I said in the "Keeping it Simple" thread I started getting rid of the guitars I don't play. I sold off a couple of the Squier guitars I'd picked up in trades/got for pennies and used the proceeds to fund an incoming project. It's going to be a bit of a strip/repaint.

I got rid of the Squier full thickness Strat body that had been sitting in a cupboard since I got it. I only picked it up for the neck and it cost buttons. I also got rid of the £15 Gumtree Squier Strat and that Squier Mustang I got to try out the other week. That one I traded for another cheap guitar I never played.

So all in I only sunk about £150 for all that stuff and with the funds for selling it off I've picked up a vintage guitar that has some routing and awful paint. I paid in USD so the exchange rate worked in my favour.

I will post pics when it arrives....
Last edited by Thomas on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

well this was the guitar I picked up. It's Pats old nature 'Stang!

After getting the Music Master parts from Nick last month I've missed not having a project and Pat was selling this so the timing was perect. I hate the painting on it but I want a project so that's not an issue. Plus at the price it was a no-brainer.

It arrived yesterday, when it arrived the painting looked much cooler (tho not enough to keep it that way. Here's Pats pics:

It came without the non-working Gotoh humbucker, the original pickups had been wired as a humbucker. I'll be putting it back to stock with a repro guard. I'll try to get a 70's one at some point. The routing under the guard is very clean. I may glue in blocks or just keep it as is so that I have the option of installing a humbucker in the future.
► Show Spoiler
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

And done:

singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Oh wow. Spray paint again? You're a master.

That nature Stang has been for sale for a long time. Was wondering who would snatch it up. Really good deal.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

singlepup wrote:Oh wow. Spray paint again? You're a master.

That nature Stang has been for sale for a long time. Was wondering who would snatch it up. Really good deal.
Yep, spray paint again, from good old Halfords this time. It's actually a dark metallic green/blue so it looks ace with some sunshine on it. Sadly there wasn't much of that in Glasgow yesterday.

For the record HNB is the master of spray can finishes ;)

The price was right, around £400 all in. The routed body gives me some options pickup wise and if I want I can always try to snag a competition body for it at a later date to return it to totally stock.
Johno

Post by Johno »

Looks great Thomas. I picked up Pat 72 Red Mustang he had for sale which needs a little work. I have a Decal for it just needs a fret job and perhaps new pickups and i think I will change the switching option to 1 switch neck/both/bridge.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Nice! What's it look like (got pics?).

This diagram may be of use to you:

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thomas wrote:Nice! What's it look like (got pics?). Pat's a great guy, so easy to deal with. I got my 70s Music Master neck from him too and at a super tasty price.

This diagram may be of use to you:

Johno

Post by Johno »

Cheers Thomas, I may give that wiring diagram a go.
I will try and take some photos, Pat had a sale thread in the classifieds which I will dig up with lots of pics.
cooter

Post by cooter »

Thomas wrote:And done:

Looks great man. 8)
Smells like Rock n' Roll
SherwoodJim

Post by SherwoodJim »

Whoa. That looks ace. Loving the hints of green
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

It's this colour with the sun on it (tho my shitty iphone refuses to capture the metallic twinkle):

ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

What's the deal with spray can finishes, then? Are you using acrylic or special nitro cans?
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Halfords paints are pretty much all acrylic.

TBH so were most of Fender's custom colours, it was the clearcoat that was Nitro and yellowed in the sun.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Nick is totally right, it's always acrylic (that I've used anyway). Everything on this is Halfords, primer, colour and clear.

The Halfords formula is great, it flows well but isn't prone to runs or clogging. If you do thin coats it dries super fast as well. Same deal with the clearcoat. I don't have the patience for nitro finishes. I like to keep the paint reasonably thin too as I like the effect when it starts to wear.

I've used Halfords gloss spray on a guitar before too. It goes on super shiny and you don't need to clearcoat, just buff. I tend to never polish my finishes as I don't like em too shiny so I stick to the regular stuff now.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Would there be an issue with a Nitro-finished neck on an acrylic-finished body? Would the finishes eat at each other or something? Because acrylic sprays are loaded with solvents, aren't they?

I'm finally gearing up to finish my teardrop. FINALLY. I just need to do the damn finishing.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Nitro over acrylic is fine. That's what the old Fenders were when they were car metallic colors.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've been thinking of putting a comp stripe on this but I'm unsure what colour would be best...
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Ford Riveria Blue with a yellowed clear coat? That might look cool.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'll need to look that colour up. I was leaning toward a dark powder blue. I'll check it out. Ta for the input.