VOX AC15 someone

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

sunshiner

VOX AC15 someone

Post by sunshiner »

1) Do they have enough headroom to play let's say Beatles covers with a drummer and all the band in a medium sized club
2) Do they sound any thin and harsh at high volumes?
3) Do they have thick enough overdrive to play some classic hard rock stuff?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

1) No
2) No
3) Yes.

My old AC15C1 is the best value-for-money amp I've ever owned. The CC1 is dogshit though.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

If you can add a 1x12" extension cab it'll probably be fine. I find that has more impact than the amp on how loud it is.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Good questions. I wonder what sort of smallish amp would get a Yes for question 1?
Zack

Post by Zack »

My silvertone 1482, which is 15 watts, did pretty well on the couple sessions I had with a drummer. That being said I have not heard it in a live on-stage sort of thing and it wasn't Beatles covers.

Having the amp tilted or stacked to ear level helped a lot as well.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

Zack wrote:My silvertone 1482, which is 15 watts, did pretty well on the couple sessions I had with a drummer. That being said I have not heard it in a live on-stage sort of thing and it wasn't Beatles covers.

Having the amp tilted or stacked to ear level helped a lot as well.
This. I have a 1483 that's like 22w with a 1x15 in it and it barely keeps up with a band clean. At shows it has to be mic'd up.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I've played an AC15 on a couple of gigs and it kept up well with a drummer and stayed clean. It's one of the 90s ones made in the uk. Not sure on what speaker is in it but it sounds great, it belongs to one of my friends. The only downside is that he's always complaining that it's broken.
NickS

Post by NickS »

ISTR from that documentary on Jennings and Vox that this is why the AC30 was developed...
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

singlepup wrote:Good questions. I wonder what sort of smallish amp would get a Yes for question 1?
The AC15H1TV (handwired cream tolex AC15) is LOUD. Sure as hell can be louder than Dave Grohl playing the drums.

For old time's sake
NickS

Post by NickS »

I guess it depends whether the drummer plays his Beatles like Ringo at The Cavern Club or like Tommy Lee
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

1) Yes with Alnico Blues. Less so with Greenbacks.
2) Not with P90s. Alnicos sound so damn good at high volume, too. There's just a natural compression that is simply perfect.
3) Yes and no. It overdrives pretty easy, but I don't know I would call it thick.
singlepup wrote:Good questions. I wonder what sort of smallish amp would get a Yes for question 1?
Peavey Classic 30.
NickS wrote:ISTR from that documentary on Jennings and Vox that this is why the AC30 was developed...
Yeah, but they had to compete with armies of screaming girls, too. In a normal environment, an AC15 with Alnico speakers will be fine unless you're allergic to any kind of drive at all, but Beatles always had a bit of grit to their cleans.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Thank you everyone for your responds. As I understood AC15 doesn't have enough headroom to play some indie-shmindie stuff that I am going to play through it. Changing the stock speaker to Alnico Blue won't entirely solve this problem, at the same time it will increase the price up to $900 for a new amp. It seems that there is no real alternative for Peavey Classic 30
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.