Project: Jag Stang

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

visceral

Project: Jag Stang

Post by visceral »

^ The Inspiration for my color scheme. I really wanted a Mustang but this Jag Stang neck fell into my lap for another build that didn't work out the way I wanted, so when I saw an ebay Jag Stang body for sale not long after I knew it was a good idea to move this direction and get another Mustang eventually though I want a Jazzmaster more (tangent.) I feel like a I saved/rescued a 95' Jag Stang in this build. I also did a really rough build for this guitar based on the Kurt Inspiration idea. So the rough neck and body were perfect for the build but otherwise they could be a lil more rough than I'd like. Though the neck is flawless on the fret board just a few imperfections on the bottom of headstock, drill for second string guide, and messy drill job for the tuners, but these don't affect performance. The body has tons of dents, knicks, scratches, and just overall heavy wear. *Looks like someone made love to the back of it with a belt buckle* Huge cracks in the clear, yada yada, but like I said what the hellz.

^ Rescued donor body and neck both are 95' \m/

^ The vision :) -`~~~

^ Real light to see the cracks in clear, knicks, scratches, etc. I really wanted to enjoy the rough paint and the brand new white hardware, the contrast, and noticeable modifications. I'd also like to share that I bought the white tusq saddles from Graphtech and those are definitely not for any Mustang bridge but for the Jaguar/Jazzmaster style with all smaller saddles. Not the same as the Mustang bridge with the radius saddles etc. So I went back to the original Mustang/Jag Stang saddles and worked with them until I decide between the Mastery or the suggested Staytrem option.

^ Fender Family and Takamine

^ The most holy locking Fender tuners known in existence and the Jag Stang headstock, coming soon-bone nut!

^ Instagram Edit & Vision Complete
Last edited by visceral on Mon May 11, 2015 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
visceral

Post by visceral »

Mod list

Fender locking pearl tuners
WD red tort PG
Black barrel knobs with pearl insert
New Mustang white switches, switchcraft input, and all new cloth wiring stepped up to 500 volume and tone instead of 250. Despite the Jag Stang wiring print out's advice.
Fender Mustang P-Up cover in white
Seymour Duncan Antiquity, Neck P-up
Seymour Duncan JB in white, Bridge P-up
Strap Locks chrome
Fender F logo neck plate
Conductive paint in P-up cavity
Repair: Previous owner drilled very poorly for american tuners, drilled 2x poorly for a 2nd string tree, the strap knob screws were stripped out on the bottom I believe, and like I said complete re-wire 100% (nothing original used)

Coming Soon...
-New Bridge, Mastery or Staytrem
-Bone nut
Last edited by visceral on Fri May 15, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
visceral

Post by visceral »

reserved for video
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

looks p good
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Those neck are perfect in every respect, I don't know why anyone'd switch those tuners or put another string tree in. Nice to see some Jag-Stang action, though, they seem to have faded into the distance in general.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

I've been playing mine a lot more lately. it just feels right to me
dots wrote:incesticide
visceral

Post by visceral »

BobArsecake wrote:Those neck are perfect in every respect, I don't know why anyone'd switch those tuners or put another string tree in. Nice to see some Jag-Stang action, though, they seem to have faded into the distance in general.
^ Yeah I agree, but since the previous owner already botched things up I did the quickest fix to improving I hope.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Looks great. I'm still very much in love with my Fiesta Red Jag-Stang. I might have to get a blue one too at some point.

What kind of Antiquity is that? Mustang or Strat? Are you getting any good clean tones with both pickups on?
visceral

Post by visceral »

singlepup wrote:Looks great. I'm still very much in love with my Fiesta Red Jag-Stang. I might have to get a blue one too at some point.

What kind of Antiquity is that? Mustang or Strat? Are you getting any good clean tones with both pickups on?

^ Thanks for the kind words Sir! The antiquity is the shit! I have the mustang antiquity in this guitar and I am really happy with the choice. I think the strat pickup also would be great but this worked out for me. I'm the kind of guy that usually leaves it on the bridge p/up the entire time, but with this guitar I have the Bridge selected to the right and the Neck p/up selected to the left. And together it is an awesome tone! I really love it! This has instantly became one of my favorite guitars to play.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Nice! I'm looking forward to your video.

Still deciding on the pickups for mine. I keep going back and forth :P

Regarding the bridge, I'd strongly recommend the Staytrem.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I wonder who's got the red tort guard off of de kurdtz roseland stang today. (And doesn't even know it) or did Bailey route it for a humbucker and throw it on a blue stang?
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Awstin wrote:I wonder who's got the red tort guard off of de kurdtz roseland stang today. (And doesn't even know it)
It's shit like this that stops me from real good, solid bouts of sleep. Just kidding they probably threw it away.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
visceral

Post by visceral »

Awstin wrote:I wonder who's got the red tort guard off of de kurdtz roseland stang today. (And doesn't even know it) or did Bailey route it for a humbucker and throw it on a blue stang?
^ I'm not sure but youre probably right about throwing it on the blue stang