Farewell Fender Japan!

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Golden_Sonic

Farewell Fender Japan!

Post by Golden_Sonic »

I report the info from Wiki:

"The venture ended on March 31, 2015 and Fender itself (through its company Fender Music Corporation (Japan)) took over the Japanese business effective April 1, 2015 with Fender-manufactured product line... Fender, Yamano and Kanda Shokai end the Fender Japan joint-venture on March 31, 2015. Fender took over the Japanese business effective April 1, 2015".

THIS is the new site (that is the same Fender but in japanese language). I can't find several models (I remember there were bunch of mustangs, jaguars and other stuff) so I think Fender has already decided to change the products' policy. Disappeared several FSR instruments... This is a curse.
-Guitar: Squier VM Mustang, Squier CV '50 Duo Sonic;
-Amplifier: Hughes&Kettner Blue Edition 60;
-FXs: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 Wah, Boss BD-2 Blues Drive, Proco RAT, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, EH Small Clone, MUZA FD900, Bespeco Volume pedal.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Well, shit. :evil: I'd suspected it for a while, but it's disappointing. There goes a whole slew of cool CIJ-only finishes and other neat little options that the 'Western' models don't have. I wonder what'll happen to the factories now though, what with Mexican factories providing the in-between price bracket between Squier and Fender USA stuff.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

So does this mean no more Fender guitars at all being made in Japan, or that none at all are going to be exported?

The fucking idiots. The Japanese ones are the best.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

LAME
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

End of an era.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

There's a guy from Fender UK on one of the other forums who said that Fender Japan will still be manufacturing, only for the Asian market tho. It's just the same thing that happened in the late 90s. It's no big deal. You'll still be able to get certain stuff.

Back in 98 when I was trying to find a Jaguar they were like hens teeth here in the UK.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Thomas wrote: Back in 98 when I was trying to find a Jaguar they were like hens teeth here in the UK.
Remember it well. Same with all the Offsets, I think the Jag-Stang was the only one I saw in shops to begin with.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I actually ended up with a Jazzmaster instead. I eventually got a Jag from the US about 2 1/2 years later.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Fran wrote:
Thomas wrote: Back in 98 when I was trying to find a Jaguar they were like hens teeth here in the UK.
Remember it well. Same with all the Offsets, I think the Jag-Stang was the only one I saw in shops to begin with.
They still are here in Atlantic Canada... things are only gonna get worse.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Previously, Fender Japan was an independent company who licensed product design from FMIC (and CBS at one point).

No more--FMIC has moved in directly.

Checking out the Mustangs at fender.co.jp:

(1) The Compstang is gone

(2) The 65 and 69 RIs are still there, labelled as the Classic 60s and Classic 70s Mustangs (respectively)

(3) There is a new "top of the line" Classic 65 Special

(4) The Pawnshop is pictured on the site, but not listed as an available Mustang

(5) All Fender Mustangs on the site, including the KC Mustang, are listed as "Japan exclusive"

(6) The Squier VM Mustang is there and not listed as exclusive
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Likewise, there are a Classic 60s Jag, a Classic 60s JM, and Classic 60s Special JM... all listed as Japan exclusive.

In the US there's not gonna be much difference. We'll still be able to import these guitars via Ishibashi.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

^It makes more sense in that context. I guess this has been on the horizon for a while - lower-priced guitars available in the US and Europe are all MIM, and the likes of Ishibashi have been the only way of people in the West being able to get hold of CIJ instruments for a number of years now.

As long as the factories are still going, that's reassuring...both for folks who want CIJ Fenders, and for the people in the factories. I suppose my only remaining concern is that, because the cool range that Fender Japan used to offer was due to the its autonomy, that range is now going to disappear because Fender Japan is now just another FMIC subsidiary just like all the others.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Yeah, a lot of the cool range (colors, unique models, lefties) will prolly be gone :(

I think I did read that the current factory is stopping production. Not 100% sure about this, but it makes sense. Most likely the factory was contracted by Fender Japan, and now all sorts of changes are happening. There's no reason to think that FMIC's "Japan exclusive" models won't be MIJ, but not sure exactly where they'll be produced.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Yeah there are Japan-exclusive models, but all Fender branded guitars will be made in the US, Mexico and China.
Ah well, I guess I can keep on chasing the old Grecos etc. Won't be selling my 83 Squier or my 85 Jazzmaster anytime soon.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Sad news I suppose, but it makes sense. Certain MIM Fender guitars are just as good as, if not better than, MIJ / CIJ. And now the Chinese models are on-par as well, aside from the hardware being a bit cheap. From a marketing perspective, there's no more room for Japanese-made Fender guitars anywhere except Japan. And I bet the cost of producing guitars for a single market is absurd. I wouldn't be surprised if they still get all the good colors exclusively, though :roll:
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Don't know if it's related but there don't appear to be any Mustangs on the Fender (US) website any more. The Pawn Shop, Kurdtz ones and the standard MIJ ones have disappeared.

Actually, those American Special ones have gone too. They've either had a massive purge of Mustangs or I need to internet harder.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

IIRC those were discontinued early this year, maybe late last year. Fender probably overestimated the desire for an $800 Mustang, when the Squier models are (were?) almost as good for less than half the price. Sorta like the Pawn Shop '51. Kinda been thinking about picking up a KC Mustang, though, because they're sure to go up in value. And they're also great players. Any leftover stock of "Special" and Pawn Shop model Mustangs are sure to be cheap now, too. Though it seems most sites say they're no longer available.

LOL that Fender still has a pseudo-listing on their site for the KC 'Stang though...comes across as a kind of "fuck you, we know you want this, but we don't have these anymore, so go away" message. Why not just say they've been discontinued...?

http://www.fender.com/guitars/mustang/k ... 51400.html
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

MatthewK wrote:Yeah there are Japan-exclusive models, but all Fender branded guitars will be made in the US, Mexico and China.
Are you sure about this? The "Japan Exclusive" offsets appear to be Fender Japan spec (see the "width at nut" on the 70s Stang), but are significantly less expensive than MIM equivalents on fender.co.jp. Like 30-40% less expensive, but still too expensive to be MIC. Could it be that FMIC will continue limited production of Fender Japan's products in Japan, for sale only in Japan?
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

^if anything, the Chinese Player series seems mostly discontinued to me. The localised Fender site here still shows the P90 Mustang, but in reality it's not available new anywhere in Europe. In fact the only Chinese Player guitars which may still be available are the Starcaster and Coronado, I'm not sure for how long but there are probably a few still in shops because they were the highest priced in the series (and the latest).
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
MattK

Post by MattK »

singlepup wrote:
MatthewK wrote:Yeah there are Japan-exclusive models, but all Fender branded guitars will be made in the US, Mexico and China.
Are you sure about this? The "Japan Exclusive" offsets appear to be Fender Japan spec (see the "width at nut" on the 70s Stang), but are significantly less expensive than MIM equivalents on fender.co.jp. Like 30-40% less expensive, but still too expensive to be MIC. Could it be that FMIC will continue limited production of Fender Japan's products in Japan, for sale only in Japan?
I suppose anything's possible, but everything I have read (and there's been a bit) says that they've finished the deal with Kanda Shokai, and the dealers in Ochanomizu etc have said they received their last Fender Japan stock and there will be no more.