how many of you play a project guitar as your #1

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

George

how many of you play a project guitar as your #1

Post by George »

or at least on a regular basis? which one? pics?

(originals and big mod pieces both count)
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Two of my six guitars are (easy) projects - my strat and my tele are MJT builds. I love them both to bits.
cur

Post by cur »

The blue one.

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I could never, but have great respect for those who do.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Nick wrote:I could never, but have great respect for those who do.
+1

Someday my mods will get less klutzy, and then maybe I can.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

I use to really hate this one, but now it's the one that I think about when I'm at work. It came to my hands as someone else's discarded project.

JAGMASTER
She has Gibson p90's, 1000k pots,big fat orange drop 0.022 cap, tusq nut and saddles, roller trees, fender locking tuners, brass tremolo block(that I had to grind down d/t the thinness of the body), custom made pick guard and tremolo cover, and strap locks...Her neck is faster than I am and she's a real screamer!
Last edited by speedfish on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

My faves are partscasters so not technically project guitars. My main guitar I used to play was scratch built minus the neck. I built it at art school (that was the only time I've had access to a complete set of machinery/shop) The body was a Jag/Mustang/Tele hybrid. I ended up giving it away years ago and sadly I don't have a single pic of it.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Thomas wrote:My faves are partscasters so not technically project guitars. My main guitar I used to play was scratch built minus the neck. I built it at art school (that was the only time I've had access to a complete set of machinery/shop) The body was a Jag/Mustang/Tele hybrid. I ended up giving it away years ago and sadly I don't have a single pic of it.
This isn't good enough! you've let yourself down with your lack of photographic evidence...
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The only photo evidence I have from any guitars back then are old actual photos. The only pic I have of my old dearly departed Musicmaster are like this. All blurry and shit snapped on the end of a roll of film just to finish it off. Sadly none of it coincides with when I had that guitar. I made it at the end of my second year.

Photos of photos:
► Show Spoiler
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I built this for the wife she never learned to play but it's my main couch guitar and I probably use it more than my tele (that I still think of as the #1) and my Jaguar.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I would but I end up selling them all to build more. haha :lol: But here is the '64 project stang I got and put together from cooterfinger. All vintage parts except new tuners, a new mint guard, and vintage wound Bullock mustang pickups. She's my main babe at the moment. '64 A neck is a dream! Cooterfinger actually refinished the neck and body. Brilliantly too. It's like a well kept vintage guitar. Fun fact, this is the '66 mustang body I traded to him to build the original Jag-Stang 2.0 body. (My first build here)

ImageUntitled by punkacc9, on Flickr
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Not right now, but for a while...

The Televersary Cindicaster Mk.II got used for probably half of my commercial work over the last 3 - 4 years or so (trading places from time to time with the super-ugly Swing T-Thru), including higher gain toanz. The TV Jones Classic and Kent Armstrong Hot Tele bridge are frankly in two different worlds of timbre and I actually don't like them as a matched pair (which is why I rarely have used it live), but they're still both so ballsy the guitar has been great for covering everything from metal to FUNK AND SKA. OI. That said, I've been falling in love with my trashed '93 G6128T for company work, and other than bridge/sustain issues the tone is really hard to fault.

As such, the Cindicaster has been in its case since last Fall. And we all know what it looks like.
► Show Spoiler
finboy

Post by finboy »

jazzcaster and starblaster