Thinking about a new project: Duosonic-Strat

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

jagsonic

Thinking about a new project: Duosonic-Strat

Post by jagsonic »

I have an old squier strat body and a sunn mustang neck. Thinking about a sonic blue body with two pickups on a mintgreen pickguard. Where can i get a mintgreen pickguard with two singleholes (europe would be cool)?

I also think about a 5-way-switch with the options neck -- both parallel -- both out-of-phase -- both serial -- bridge. Does someone have a wiring diagram for this?

[pictures will follow]
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Warmoth... not in Europe but that's the most hassle-free bet I take on Strat pickguards nowadays, especially if mint green/funny configs are required.

They made and shipped me this one in one week (I'm in the States but still) and it was $25. You can get either mounting hole pattern, mine is a mis-match because I originally bought this guard for a different body. I'd previously had Warmoth do a 3-pickup one that was otherwise similar.

Also your project reminds me in essence of Parquet Courts's Austin Brown's Bullet Strat

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Just a pickguard for $25 costs $28 shipping to germany. Think i will buy a blank and drill the pickupholes myself...

What do you mean - does it make sense to do a 5-way switching? Or is it more useful to use a simple 3-way switch?
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

As longer as i look at Austin Brown's strat, as better i think about a standard strat pickguard leaving the middlepickup as a hole... :)
paul_

Post by paul_ »

That sucks, I figured shipping would be hefty but I guess that really rules it out.... there are surely pickguard makers over there that can do it for you.

I go 3-way switch and vol/tone for two pickup Strats, it's just a Tele scheme. With that in mind you could do the 4-way Tele switch for both series/parallel middle positions if you wanted.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Thanks, i think i keep it simple and use a 3way switch...
MattK

Post by MattK »

Depending where you want the pickups:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stratocaster-Bl ... 1695714171

Personally I hate the bridge pickup on Strats so that looks good.

jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

That's a rad idea! :shock:

I'd prefered the combination neck / bridge. But i will think about this reason... Looks very cool and unusual!
cur

Post by cur »

I don't know too much about Sunn Mustangs, but you might want to make sure the strat body and you Sunn neck will work together and intonate. What is the scale of the neck and how many frets does it have?

jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Sunn Mustangs are close Stratcopies from an indian company. They were licensed by Fender (FMIC).
As i know, are they 25,5". I think, there is no problem with intonation.

George

Post by George »

smdh at that guy taking out the middle pickup and leaving a hole.

i like the look of duo sonic strats if done properly, but wouldn't have them myself. the bridge-middle quack position is too good
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Started: Image
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I think this will be the way it goes...
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Lookin' good!
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I've done some aging to see the sunburst under the sonic blue color. Like it a lot.

jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I've finished my duosonic. :-)

I really like it. The sunn neck is a pleasure. The pickups are cheap squier ones, and i will swap them in future, but for the moment, they sound not bad.

Here's some pics:

Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I dig it. FAHCK those middle pickups.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.