NPD: Nu-x Modcore

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Concretebadger

NPD: Nu-x Modcore

Post by Concretebadger »

Sequel to this thread, in which I wanted a phaser for cheapz.

Metal enclosure, true bypass, the same size footprint and standard 9V power as a Boss. The knobs feel loose and have cheap plastic shafts, but otherwise it feels solid enough and the in/out (both stereo!) jacks are at least metal. It cost me around £30 new, including postage, off the 'bay. There's a three-way mini toggle that selects a preset in the middle position, with the up and down positions selecting either a 'standard' or 'deluxe' setting for each mode. There are knobs for mode, rate, depth and 'tweak'. The latter either does nothing, is a mix or feedback/resonance control depending on the mode selected.

Chorus is...chorus. Not quite on par with the real thing I've tried (EHX small clone) but it sounds chorus-y. Deluxe mode is a faster rate. Tweak knob mixes the effect sound with the dry.

Flanger is...again, a slightly anaemic but useable take on the real thing. Standard is more powerful and 'modern'.

Phaser: pretty good. Standard reminds me of a small stone and is good post-distortion. Deluxe is more midrange-y so I'm guessing it's trying to emulate an MXR.

Tremolo: standard mode reminds me of my old DRRI's. Deluxe is asymmetric, so I presume it's the type that Spacemen 3 used to use (Tim's West Germany Trem maybe?). Neither give a choppy square wave AFAIK.

Pan: this needs stereo in and out to work properly, which I doubt many guitarists' boards actually do. Could be useful for digital piano/keyboard and drum machines though.

Rotary: I really like this one. Standard mode is brighter, while Deluxe is more watery and less trebly. Really damned nice.

Vibe: the only disappointment. I'm not sure whether this is a poor emulator of a univibe or whether they're supposed to sound like that. It's as though it's trying to be a chorus and phaser at the same time, but doesn't entirely succeed at either. Deluxe mode puts it into vibrato rather than chorus/phase - useless to me (see below) but at least does what the real thing does.

Vibrato: I've never really liked the sound of this effect, so I'm not the best person to ask. It just makes me feel seasick listening to it.

to summarise then: some neat features and the number of usable sounds outweigh the useless ones. I got a lot of pedal for my money here, so I'm pretty happy with it.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

They're cool little pedals. Have a bunch of useful sounds on them and are surprisingly sturdy. I keep mine off my pedalboard as I only need it for the odd gig and it's holding up pretty well.

Here's my rubbish demo when I took it out of the box:

[youtube][/youtube]
Johno

Post by Johno »

Had one on my board for around a year,still going strong and hard to beat for the price.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

[youtube][/youtube]

For anyone that hasn't heard this pedal yet I made a new demo of it today going through a bunch of different sounds it can make.
Sally Cinnamon

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

got this and the orange time core delay for 100 australian shipped brand new, can't really fault them for what they are :)
Here we go again, we're on the road again.
We're on the road again, we're on the way to paradise.
We love the jungle deep, that's where the lion sleeps
For then those evil eyes, they have no place in paradise...