Small stubby pick

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Jagtornado

Small stubby pick

Post by Jagtornado »

Since I use small and thick stubby picks my guitar playing has become much better. Are there more people here who favour them?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I used to only use the small, hard Peavey picks like these:

They were great especially for heavy music. These days I tend to use a standard size and just shorten it with my grip.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

used to love stubbies when i first started playing. i felt like i had a lot more control for teh riffs and met0lz.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

For sure. Fran should use 'em in Leo Slayer.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I used the Dunlop stubbies for years. I really liked the 2mm and 3mm ones. The 1mm wore down super quick.

I also liked the Jazz III picks, especially the Ultex ones. I've used loads of Jazz style picks, my recent favourite was Shark Tooth picks by Strum-n-comfort. Im going to pick up a couple of JB picks very soon to see how they compare to Red Bear picks.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I like the Dunlop Jazz III XL
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

What thickness is the stubby? Lately i've been loving the paul gilbert ibanez picks. They don't seem to last very long though. Plus i love the color.
I used the love jazz III's, i find they make my arm very tired for rhythm playing. I prefer something a little thinner and bigger.

Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

The ones I am using are three milimeters but they also come in two and one milimeters. But I only like the three milimeter one.
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

Jagtornado wrote:The ones I am using are three milimeters but they also come in two and one milimeters. But I only like the three milimeter one.
3mm sounds pretty extreme for me. Do your fingers get tired while playing leads?
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

No not at all. The three milimeter pick is very nice to hold and has a good grip. With picks that are like a piece of paper I tend to squeeze the pick between my thumb and index finger which results in tiredness.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Jagtornado wrote:No not at all. The three milimeter pick is very nice to hold and has a good grip. With picks that are like a piece of paper I tend to squeeze the pick between my thumb and index finger which results in tiredness.
Ditto.
I actually picked up a 6-pack of 3mm Stubbies yesterday... though I meant to get 2mm. Might return them and exchange, might hold on to them and just get some 2mm later.

I kind of prefer a full sized pick for guitar, but for mandolin a small pick is ace. As I posted to my Instagram Thursday, my favourite mando pick is a well worn 1mm Dunlop Gator -
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press