Dang this Louisiana Heat!(neck issues and potential sanding)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

HellaMelos

Dang this Louisiana Heat!(neck issues and potential sanding)

Post by HellaMelos »

Hello there!

PROBLEM:

So here is the deal. It is hot as heck in Louisiana right now and I made a rookie mistake...

I left my guitar in my all day and overnight and when I took it out of the case again I discovered a combination of the heat and humidity had caused the stripe on the back of my Fender Supersonic neck to pop out. I had posted in the past about how the edge of the stripe was already popping out a bit, but because it was not a big issue I left it... Now, I can feel the edge of the stripe all the way down the neck...

QUESTION:

A friend of mine had suggested that I may need to reset my truss rod, saying that this was probably what caused the stripe to pop out of the neck...

Should I look into this?

Can I do this myself? If so, how?

--------

I also want to sand down the back of the neck so it is once again a smooth playing surface...

As I can definitely do this myself, what techniques do you recommend?

What type of sandpaper should I use?

Should I oil/finish it or just leave it natural?

Thank you in advance for any future help!

- Hella
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've never had this issue (living in the UK) Maybe give Cooterfinger a shout to see if he has any input.
cur

Post by cur »

Do you think the glue joint between the skunk stripe and neck is compromised. Or is it just that the walnut from the stripe expanded a little more because of the humidity? Keeping it in an air conditioned environment for a while.