Replacement tuners for jag-stang and Squier Jaguar

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Jagtornado

Replacement tuners for jag-stang and Squier Jaguar

Post by Jagtornado »

Hi guys,

Are there any really good replacement tuners for a Jag-Stang or a Squier VM jaguar HH (the fixed bridge type. And I mean really compatible, so you won't have to drill new holes in the headstock.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Do they use Klusons? If so then yes: Klusons, or even cheaper Kluson types.

If they don't use Klusons, then yes: Whatever type they happen to be. Check the manufacturer website for any specs/clues, but really the only difference is going to one of a small number of set hole-widths (and you can always use conversion bushings) and screw-placement, which changes from brand to brand.

When you say "really good", what do you mean? Are you talking about upgrading the tuners from the current ones? Why? Tuning stability? I've found that even cheap tuners can be perfectly fine if the rest of the guitar is set up well. You're starting with a fixed bridge so you're already at an advantage. Take it to a guitar tech first and get it nicely set-up before you go changing the tuners or anything.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

When I say really good I mean really good. Like they are sent down from heaven. I won't go for anything less.

No, what I mean is that I really can be sure, when I have tuning problems, that it ain't the tuners that are causing it. By the way the specs of the Squier only says that the tuners are vintage style.
George

Post by George »

"vintage style" means kluson or kluson type

although the squier jaguar/mustang tuners feel a bit clunky and shoddy in operation (so i sympathise on that), they work and hold tune adequately.

all kluson types are basically absolutely fine unless they are broken somehow (unlikely). any issues you experience with poor tuning are most likely other phenomena such as poorly fitted or unstretched strings, unlubricated nut or a badly setup bridge/trem. if both guitars are having issues, more often than not that should point toward how you (the user) are doing things.

many people erroneously throw money at the problem by getting flash tuners, but most people on this forum who are worth their salt will tell you the same thing: it's not necessary to go beyond regular klusons. i have some full-on space age locking tuners that came on a used warmoth neck i bought. the only luxury is that i don't have to do as much string winding taking them on and off. tuning capability is more or less the same.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

I got Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knob 6-In-Line Tuners for my CIJ Jaguar. They work pretty well.

LINK
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Normal vintage style/Klusons are the best tuners there are; no faff, no mess, reliable, and ridiculously easy to use. I can't comment on the quality of the Squier ones but the ones on the Jag-Stang are as good as you'll get on any guitar. Obviously things are down to personal preference but I can't see any improvement to them.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Import Fenders use Ping brand Kluson copies, US Fenders use Gotoh brand Kluson copies. Squiers originally used Pings too, like the Classic Vibes, maybe this has changed since there are cheaper Kluson-style tuners out there. There's also a new Kluson-branded Kluson tuner line from the recently revived company (Kluson also made the jade keystone Gibson tuners and originally went out of business in the '70s, which is why F-tuners and Schaller'd Gibsons started happening).

You have lots of options but the ones that are on there should be ok. Unless one develops a really annoying fault, there's no reason to change them in the name of performance.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I have the Squier Jag HH and one problem I do not have is the tuning: stays perfectly in tune. Maybe you need to spray a bit of WD40 in the slots.

Or your strings are too heavy or too light. I found you need at least a .046 for the low E so it won't buzz, and I have a .010 for the high E. If you put very heavy strings they might get stuck at the nut.

Also lower the back of the bridge a bit so you get a good angle. Same for the cigar tube on the Jag-stang.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts