Tascam, zoom 16 track digital recorders

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Jagtornado

Tascam, zoom 16 track digital recorders

Post by Jagtornado »

Hi guys,

Is threre a technician among you who can determine the quality of the Tascam and zoom 16 track digital recorders? I am wondering if the quality is good enough to make an professional album with them. I hate software recording.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I'm sure, but depends which model. Some models have a lot less features.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Didn't Awstin have one of the Tascam ones?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

You can definitely get some usable results I would think if you know what you're doing, but I would probably just use it for demos. The power you have via software nowadays is unparalleled when it comes to audio production.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

Hi guys,

What I am really try to find out is the basic quality when it comes to recording with these multi track devices
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Jagtornado wrote:Hi guys,

What I am really try to find out is the basic quality when it comes to recording with these multi track devices
Most any digital recording device today is going to have more than usable quality overall.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I have a Zoom R24 recorder which I've been getting some really great results with. But that's only really after doing some rough mixes in Reaper. You're not gonna get great results using just the 8-track, I'd advise against avoiding software altogether unless you're in some fabulously equipped analogue studio.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

i understand what you mean, i am not totally against transferring the recorded tracks to a computer for mixing but only for mixing thanks for the advice
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

If you're using a digital recorder you'd be as well just to use a computer. You can still record in the same manner. I can get people using tape because they like the way it sounds but digital recorder vs computer? I don't see ant difference, apart from negative ones.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

i do not like computers and software. the manuals of recording software are terrible and the average person nowadays already spends quite some time behind a computer
and you need a powerfull computer to let the software run smooth and also need all kinds of extra stuff if you want to record with a microphone

so if you need to buy another computer with all the extra stuff it is much more expensive than buying a multitrack recorder
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

It depends really. If you're just using it basic style (like you'd use a digi recorder) you can. You don't really need to get involved in all the other stuff if you don't want to.

I like the simplicity of recording into a dedicated recorder too but you'll find you need other bits and pieces even for basic stuff and you'll hit the limits of them pretty fast.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

so which sotware do you suggest? i only have a very basic computer
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

My PC is old as hell and runs Cubase/sonar etc fine. Go into your local music shop and get one of the free lite versions (you always see the Ableton one in shops), Give it a go and see if it works. You're usually limited to a certain # of tracks on the free versions and some features will be missing. It'll still have more features than a standalone digi recorder. Pus you can check the performance without spending any cash.

Maybe get yourself one of those Focusrite external sound cards. Secondhand ones are super cheap.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Here's one. There are loads out there.

Ableton Lite free

Here's the blurb:

Ableton Live 9 Lite is a customized version of the music making software Ableton Live. Live 9 Lite is packaged with selected products and provides a fresh and easy way to write music, record audio, and produce your own songs. Plus, Live is a powerful performance tool for the stage – whether playing solo or in a band. Live 9 Lite is not time-limited and you can save and mix-down your work.
All the fundamentals of Ableton Live 9 are included:
Fast, intuitive workflow based on unique Session and Arrangement Views
Professional-quality audio recording and MIDI sequencing on up to 8 tracks
Creative sound design and processing with Impulse and Simpler instruments, as well as Drum, Instrument, and Effect Racks
600 MB of loops and samples
Plug-and-play compatibility with many hardware controllers
Studio effects including EQ, compression, reverb, delay, chorus, filter and more
Unlimited use of included Ableton instruments and effects
Unlimited use of your favorite VST and AU instruments and effects
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Audacity is also free and very popular tho I haven't used it myself.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Try Reaper. You can download the full version as a free demo. There is actually nothing that stops you continuing to use it for free, other than your conscience, but it is fantastic value.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

Thanks guys I will give it a try
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Another vote for REAPER.

http://www.reaper.fm

it's small, comes with a lot of great built in plugins, even though i've spent hundreds of dollars on plugins over the years, i still use lots of the reaper plugins.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

there also soft synths in Reaper?
Last edited by Jagtornado on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Not really although I think there is a very basic synth called Reasynth. I have never used it though.

I just downloaded some free ones. TAL do a pretty decent Juno 60 emulator and SH-101 emulator, which are both free. I also found a couple of free combo organ VSTs and piano VSTs. I am sure there are loads more but I use my hardware synth for most of that sort of thing now.