Fokus H Mustang modifications

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

You can't turn the screws in the posts of the TOM bridge to adjust the height?
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Tried to. They seem fake to me :D or just extremely stiff.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Lol. I kinda went full sonic youth mode today and after torturing my strings i thought i could use the heavy duty screwdriver somewhat more seriuosly and i finally managed to move the bridge posts. They were just too tightened so i couldnt do it with just a small screwdriver i was using during the setup (obviously i had a big one for taking the neck off, but those are phillips screws :D ) .
NickS

Post by NickS »

[youtube][/youtube]
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

vojtasTS29 wrote:Lol. I kinda went full sonic youth mode today and after torturing my strings i thought i could use the heavy duty screwdriver somewhat more seriuosly and i finally managed to move the bridge posts. They were just too tightened so i couldnt do it with just a small screwdriver i was using during the setup (obviously i had a big one for taking the neck off, but those are phillips screws :D ) .
But they do adjust the bridge height?
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

they do... Of course they do :D
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Oh hey guys! Found myself a cheapo JB knockoff. Not sure about the manufacturer, but in the test strat in the guys shop who gave me this pickup for about 200 CZK(10 dollars) it sounded pretty much like a JB. I am thinking about going angled humbucker because i love the looks, and also because it is not F-spaced meaning the E and e polepieces will be under those strings if i go angled :D Surely noiserock/shoegaze enough, right?
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Oh yes :D and can someone draw me the right wiring so the pickups are out of phase when both on? :D i mean i can easily just solder it in the place of the old one, but i don't want to do it two times accidentally :DImage
Addam

Post by Addam »

I would wire the bridge humbucker in the normal way so the metal base plate is grounded properly and switch the polarity on the neck pickup.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

that probably makes a lot more sense :) thanks. I am thinking i might add a phase switch later, because i am going to get a stainless custom control plate(you cant buy the originals in my country), so i can just order a hole more in it :D
Addam

Post by Addam »

Maybe add the phase on a push-pull pot? It would be cheap and easy.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

I am gonna go full frankenstang thurston moore style, just made to my own needs, i might even go relic, so i think an extra switch might look really neat :D
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Just a quick shitty phone pic of the progress. I roughened(no idea if such a word exists :D) the whole poly coat and painted base and sonic blue nitro coat over it :) i have now about 4 coats of blue, i am gonna lacquer it tomorrow, but with a not too thick layer... :D I have only one big ass can of lacquer... The pickguard is cut, i just need to solder the Hb in. And i even managed to save the almost new set of strings! Hey! :D (oh yes and i routed the body, but that should be obvious :D)
Last edited by vojtasTS29 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Please remove this post after its done, but can admin please move this thread to projects and call it the Fokus H Mustang modifications? Thanks.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

vojtasTS29 wrote:Please remove this post after its done, but can admin please move this thread to projects and call it the Fokus H Mustang modifications? Thanks.
Done and done, but you ARE able to rename the first post (and therefore topic) yourself, no mod powers needed :)

Man, I REALLY like these, dirt cheap too. Would be curious to play one for myself
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ ... _white.htm
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Thanks :)) I think the Harley Benton is the same guitar. I had both in hands and the only difference is the headstock shape. Een the BaCH mustang is the same, but with mosrite bridge... They are great for silly mods :) :DDD
---ACTUAL POST---
Oh shieeeet... The front side went super good and the clearcoat cured nicely... But me the asshole tried a different kind of clear on the back... and, no you dont want to see it tbh. Its just gonna probably crack and fall off sooner or later, so free buckle rash right here. And i dont really care. It was the first guitar i modified so heavily and i like it as it is. Oh and hey. The humbucker i had was faulty so i put the old singlecoil in to hold the screws(not wired in) and asembled myself a musicmaster for a while... New humbucker is gonna come this week, so i will solder and then post some photos and maybe even sounds :)
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Oh. finally ordered a chrome control plate, some extra screws, amp knobs and a black pickup cover. gonna post some photos when the guitar is completely aestheticaly done. but i have managed to fuck up the finish in the meantime by hard picking and bashing the guitar into things(it played it at two gigs and i am not exactly polite at reharshals... couple that with my super low quality clear and heyyyy.) and the clear lacquer fucked up and greened a lot in places where sweat goes into it... so a free relic i guess. I am thinking about belt sanding the whole guitar and starting again, but that will be no sooner than next summer... :D
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Well how much teen spirit can a single guitar contain? Parts came today, so i installed the pickup cover and knobs :) Not having my dremel tool here, i just mocked the control plate image and drawn where the extra screws will go and where to cut.

:) bootyful, isnt it? :DDD
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

AND I AM FUCKING DONE. It is probably in need of a new nut and shit, but i am happy with it now. My own bilinda-kurtstang. :D The only problem was the placement of those original screws... So they are right in the gap... fuck. Added a new scerw hole on the upper part of the pg and next to the control plate. :) Best looking guitar i've ever had... It kinda feels vintage :D

:)
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

looks nice! 8)