squier cyclone neck ?'s

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

speedfish

Post by speedfish »

NickS wrote:Just out of interest, recent (well, mine is 2008 but as per the pics on the Fender website) USA standard Stratocasters have 22 frets (fingerboard overhangs the end of the neck).
My MIM Strats have 21 frets. My American deluxe ash Strat has 22 frets.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
paul_

Post by paul_ »

USA Standard Strats and Teles have had 22 frets since about '87, Squier Standards also have 22. MIM Standards have 21 but many other models of MIM Strat and Tele have 22 frets.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

speedfish wrote:
broomhandle wrote:I will count the frets. when i put the strat neck on the cyclone i got 25" as well.

I believe my neck is the cyclone neck, i am just trying to understand the cyclone. plus i am not a big fan of the neck. the sides are harsh, the fret ends have to be filed. and its wide...

so, the cyclone neck is only for the cyclone? its a special deal?

Yes, it should be a short scale neck. Look at my pics where the 21st fret marker "dot" is located on each guitar and notice the difference in measurements. The Cyclone measures ~17 & 3/8" and the Strat measures ~17 & 7/8". If the wood on your neck is too dry the wood will shrink and the fret ends can get stabby. Sometimes placing the neck in a humid environment for a short period of time can resolve this issue, other times they may require a lite filing. The strat in my pics came from the Las Vegas area and had stabby fret ends when I received it. I placed the guitar in my bathroom and steamed the room up and allowed it to live there for awhile. The wood re-hydrated and the fret ends became a non-issue. If you are in a dry area you might need to place a "damp it" in your guitar case to maintain proper humidity for the instrument.

cool, my cyclone has 22 and strat is 21. I compared where double dot is and they do not line up. weird.

i live in california. its from the bay area. i lightly rounded the fretboard edges and did a light fill on fret ends, it helped a lot.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

broomhandle wrote:
speedfish wrote:
broomhandle wrote:I will count the frets. when i put the strat neck on the cyclone i got 25" as well.

I believe my neck is the cyclone neck, i am just trying to understand the cyclone. plus i am not a big fan of the neck. the sides are harsh, the fret ends have to be filed. and its wide...

so, the cyclone neck is only for the cyclone? its a special deal?

Yes, it should be a short scale neck. Look at my pics where the 21st fret marker "dot" is located on each guitar and notice the difference in measurements. The Cyclone measures ~17 & 3/8" and the Strat measures ~17 & 7/8". If the wood on your neck is too dry the wood will shrink and the fret ends can get stabby. Sometimes placing the neck in a humid environment for a short period of time can resolve this issue, other times they may require a lite filing. The strat in my pics came from the Las Vegas area and had stabby fret ends when I received it. I placed the guitar in my bathroom and steamed the room up and allowed it to live there for awhile. The wood re-hydrated and the fret ends became a non-issue. If you are in a dry area you might need to place a "damp it" in your guitar case to maintain proper humidity for the instrument.

cool, my cyclone has 22 and strat is 21. I compared where double dot is and they do not line up. weird.
i live in california. its from the bay area. i lightly rounded the fretboard edges and did a light fill on fret ends, it helped a lot.
Cool. Glad it turned out to be the correct neck.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

so... now i have another question. I need decals and I had somebody draw the decals. but they need a size...

Height of the N and from the C to the middle line of the E

i dont know if the fender and the squier are the same....

if anybody has this that would be great!
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

I got the specs for the decal... onto pickups... :)

i love my squier 51 pickups... these not so much.