12 string Tele build

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Hmmm...The thread seems to be spurning me on to pursue greater passion for the stuff I already like. With little persuasion, I just might be able to convince myself that a non-DUH! bridge w/individual saddles (have friend do an filez for me) would be a worth while investment for a guitar I'm otherwise very much fine with. Even without any propensity toward up the neck meedley-meedlies, this would still seem to be a good idea.

LINKOLA

George

Post by George »

those rick bridges are a little pricey but I'd definitely look into it. it depends how you feel about the intonation as it currently stands though
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Aye, it's likely more of a want (for stability in a live situation) than a need where the 360/12 gets used the most (in the studio, Ménage à Un), especially since the capo thingy more than suffices for most intonation issues, as done all over on this silly older tune of ours (iPhone 3GS-shot music video lolz). Will chew it over for a bit.

[youtube][/youtube]
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Well - put it all together (apart from the tension bar on the headstock as I'm not sure on the positioning of that), haven't had time to mess with the intonation properly so it's only for teh cowboy chords just now. The neck pickup is from another project and not the junk that came in the kit so sounds good the bridge pickup is from the kit and doesn't sound too good (I have ordered another). Going to let it sit for a few days to see how stable the tuning is.

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

you did it like that on purpose? it looks like there's almost enough space to fit an extra string before the low E, not to mention the weird spacing at the bridge pickup.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
George

Post by George »

Yeah that's not a very well spaced nut, and possibly the bridge isn't aligned properly

Probably play and sound fine for now though
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

The neck is mega wide, there's a space at the high E as well. the string spacing feels fine and the spacing between the strings is actually pretty good. The bridge pickup pole pieces are spaced weirdly it's on it's road out anyway.

And thought a bit of extra space was better than ending up like the low E on this:

Ps:

Any chance you could take a mire square on pic of this to I see the string spacing?

finboy

Post by finboy »

With nut cut

Without nut cut

all i have at the moment, though the instagram filters likely don't help. let me know if you need more and I can try and grab them when I am home.

Edit:

neck was custom, and we had to shim the neck pocket slightly to avoid routing so it isn't 100% perfectly aligned. with that said, it is better than my 70's music master, and by no means does it make the guitar less playable.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Have measured up the bridge again an the ashtray's string spacing is slightly too narrow. So going to use the fully intonatable bridge for the final build and that'll sort the side gaps out.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Got back to this today, stripped it all down and started tru oiling the body. Decided to keep it natural (might stain the next one).
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Two coats of tru oil and it still feels pretty rough, think I might be putting it on too thinly.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Finally got to spend some more time in this, this week the body is finished and wired up nice n smooth with a soft sheen (not a fan of glossy guitars).

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Neck is all oiled up... Am excite, might have this done for Christmas.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

:) There's nowt better than coming to the end of a project!!
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

All done and in the house awaiting strings, the wife even likes it which is a rare occurrence:

Only thing missing (other than the aforementioned strings) is a decal for the headstock...
NickS

Post by NickS »

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Strung this up with a set of Ernie balls last night... Worst strings I've had the misfortune of buying the cheapo comedy set that came with the kit were better. These fucking elastic bands won't stay in tune. Ordered a set of daddario's only thing these will be good for is getting the neck relief right and I need to add a wee shim to the neck.
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

Built a kit 12-string in february. Really narrow nut, I guess this company use the same fretboards for 6 string kits. Ok to play, i like necks of all sizes, but its really hard to find a nut. Original plastic one couldn´t handle the string tension, it exploded. The smallest LP-style one graptech sell is just a tad too wide. String spacing I mean. But I´ve got that on for now, at the same time trying to learn to cut a nut from bone. I´d say my fifth one is probably gonna be the first one I try on, it´s really difficult.