Annie Clark of St Vincent designs her own sig guitar

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

NickS wrote:Equilateral curved triangular knobs, that's a bit different.
Heh Heh he said knobs

Uh HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I mean I know this is hate Thursday, but FUCK, speedfish, that was cray.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Nick wrote: You went and made this personal with me over that crazy connection you made?
No. What initially bothered me the most is how you called Corsair out.

IMO you read:

24 posts + North Carolina + boobs + hot + bi-sexual

and you decided that you were going to set the Shortscale world right and put this Newbie in his place.

It was a shitty welcome. You could have sent him a personal message and cleared this up, but there's no glory or bragging rights in that. It was an immature response, but you are still young even at 31.

I on the other hand am older and I should have tempered my responses toward you and I regret that I didn't. What I thought would be perceived as silly and funny came across as callous and hurtful.

My apologies.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

speedfish wrote:
IMO you read:

24 posts + North Carolina + boobs + hot + bi-sexual

and you decided that you were going to set the Shortscale world right and put this Newbie in his place.

It was a shitty welcome. You could have sent him a personal message and cleared this up, but there's no glory or bragging rights in that. It was an immature response, but you are still young even at 31.
Not true at all. For someone who seems so eager to put me in my place you're assumimg a lot about me; that I'm judgemental, that I'm immature, that I act with malice. You know you are older than I, and feel I have acted with less maturity yet it was you who couldn't handle yourself as an adult in this thread. You really don't know a thing about me.

I was not trying to haze a newbie and I couldn't care less about his geographic location; he was the one who kept defending his post based on surroundings, not the other way around. A few threads earlier I was giving him amp advice. In this thread I was trying to have a conversation about the language used and why myself and others took issue with it, ina CIVIL tone because I didn't want him to leave over a miscommunication. It was never personal, at least not from my end.

But go ahead, dig up another post and force context onto it. Prove me wrong if it's so important. You and I do not agree on the topic or even definition of sexism, and we're not going to change each other's minds. But I could do without your condescension and personal attacks.
Last edited by Nick on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
HNB

Post by HNB »

Seems like a fun guitar to try out. Looks a little pointy, but I had a El Hombre that was weird as fuck looking that was nice to play standing or sitting. Never know until you try.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

dezb1 wrote:
Corsair wrote: Image.
Why do you need to use your coat hooks as a carrier bag dispenser how many poly bags does one man need?
Ah nah mate that's just from my local gym I always go to. Bathroom selfie..
Bertram Rose
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

ffs gym selfie
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

It reminds me of what NoHo guitars would create if they were Gibson Fanboys.

Needs to be surf green and have inlays.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

George wrote:When someone goes on about "triggering" or puts other bait out like you're doing, it's a good litmus test (for me) to know when they're just memeing or trolling, so let's see some of that good faith modelled from now on *thumbs up*

This edged (pun intended) into a Pub thread pages ago, in my opinion, and mansplaining is a whole other discussion unto itself.

Saying it's sexist against men because it only goes one way is a bit ironic because of its sexist connotations to begin with, so it's kind of like saying it's reverse-sexist against men or something (I don't know the semantics on that). In other scenarios I guess it's just condescension.

It's largely about how women feel undermined and silenced, particularly if interrupted by men in certain situation. I believe it's gotten better in recent decades, and the term is thrown about a bit too carelessly, with media/social media tending to only show silly examples/accusations of it, but I don't seehow anyone can really deny the history of women being in a forced secondary position of authority or knowledge, and being talked down to as the inferior sex, that "men know best", effectively being infantilised. This power dynamic is less palpable now, but still exists. It's not a defined thing really either; like, you're not going to go to prison or be fined for mansplaining, it's just an annoying thing some women have to deal with from time to time.

So I don't think it's sexist against men at all as a phenomenon, but calling men out unwarrantedly is, if it's purely because a man is explaining something to a woman, and then it backfires and becomes blown out of proportion, particularly as most men don't seem to realise it. But it's a messy topic and all over the place, like most of this social justice stuff.
I see where you're coming from. I understand for ages woman have been silenced and undermined. Religion didn't help with that at all throughout human history, at least a lot of major religions. But still, its a lot of men's faults at the end of the day to dominate or have this ownership mentality. Which, honestly it's probably linked back to our ancestors if you believe evolutionary ideas. Watch some of our closest monkey relatives, it's generally one big alpha male in charge of the whole group. I assume we shared some of those similarities and incorporated them throughout our evolutionary years in various ways. Up until this day in fact. When you look our recent history, I think in terms of technology and everything else. We sped up our technological advances, faster than any other year throughout human history. And I think a good portion of our problems extend from us not evolving quick enough to respond appropriately to our advances. It's either that, our human nature will never change for all. Not trying to justify it, just expressing my thoughts on how it came to be and why it still is.

Well, the majority of time's I've seen women use it usually was in a condescending way or when they don't want to listen to what a guy has to say. I associate it with it being just as bad and maybe a response to men calling women "bitching" when they talking about something that a man doesn't want to hear and or other condescending responses towards women using the word bitch. But I could be wrong. If it's used as a way to get back at men for their actions in a negative context, it doesn't make the situation better by using a word to inflict damage or come off as insulting to the other. Don't fight fire with fire if you want to improve things. At least that's my opinion on it, others may vary. I understand women have been put down for ages by men which I can't imagine how it must have felt for women during those times. And still, till this day is in effect to some extent. And maybe in some ways, it's a good thing, to give men a negative condescending term to their behavior to give them a taste of their own medicine. But I guess that depends on where you stand on the topic. Like you said it is a messy topic to altogether.
Bertram Rose
BoringPostcards

Post by BoringPostcards »

[youtube][/youtube]
Oldie, but a goodie.
Det er mig der holder træerne sammen
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Axl's butt in those biker shorts gives me a legit boner.
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Doog wrote:ffs gym selfie

this ones for you, get to the gym. do they the gym on the island?

Al_

Post by Al_ »

I think Corsair as the OP responded well to the critique and it should stand as that. He wasn't continuing to argue any point so leaping to his defense or contending that what he wrote initially shouldn't have struck anyone as sexist seems counter productive and argumentative.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Al_ wrote:I think Corsair as the OP responded well to the critique and it should stand as that. He wasn't continuing to argue any point so leaping to his defense or contending that what he wrote initially shouldn't have struck anyone as sexist seems counter productive and argumentative.
YES.

THIS.

THANK YOU.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Some of my favourite posters in this thread showing why they are my favourite. Love you fam.

Others, get fucked.
euan
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

rite
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

heavy
euan
NickS

Post by NickS »

robroe wrote:rite
Only if it doesn't involve the sacrifice of any virgins of any gender or none.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

robroe wrote:
Doog wrote:ffs gym selfie
this ones for you, get to the gym. do they the gym on the island?

No, we just chase tedious narcissists with cricket bats and splatter them around The Shire for exercise
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit