I GOT NOTHIN' YEAH YEAH COME ON.

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

I GOT NOTHIN' YEAH YEAH COME ON.

Post by ultratwin »

YEAH I GOT NOTHIN' ♪ ♫ ♬

This just in: Totes digging the new KORG Pitchblack Custom with huge adjustable display.

[youtube][/youtube]

Pedal-free Pitchblack fun for Steam Dentists, too.

[youtube][/youtube]
Fakir Mustache

Re: I GOT NOTHIN' YEAH YEAH COME ON.

Post by Fakir Mustache »

ultratwin wrote:Pedal-free Pitchblack fun for Steam Dentists, too.

[youtube][/youtube]
Toothpaste finish tele.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

PUNK ROCK HOLIDAAAAY
PUNK ROCK HOLIDAAAAY

Nothing is more punk rock than advertising. Nothing.

Re: tuner.. still no bypass mute option?
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

I'm afraid KORG® still wants you to buy a KORG EXP-2 Expression Pedal© to go with your PUNK ROCK HOLIDAY KORG Pitchblack Custom Tuner™
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

By the way, I intentionally didn't post the other two releases because they seemed so irrelevant, but the cat's way outta the bag. One of them would seem to be a bizarre Japan-only unit.

But it's not, and man it sounds like crap.

MERSEY, ME!!!11

NickS

Post by NickS »

Guitar sound isn't bad on that.

[edit] Rhythm guitar, anyway. Didn't listen as far as anything with lead. Hate the "flute" though (or is it pan pipes?
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Looking at the list of the songs made me think it could be cool for remixes or something, listening to the samples made me change my mind. I'm sure it'll be a real hit on cruise liners.

Actually the best sounds are probably the ones they didn't use for the demo songs.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Wtf is up with those keys? Full width/half length?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Full length, double width. For tonez.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Fakir Mustache wrote:a real hit on cruise liners.
:) Sounds about right. Actually decent cruise liners have live bands, more likely for a holiday hotel entertainer.
riotshield

Re: I GOT NOTHIN' YEAH YEAH COME ON.

Post by riotshield »

ultratwin wrote:YEAH I GOT NOTHIN' ♪ ♫ ♬

This just in: Totes digging the new KORG Pitchblack Custom with huge adjustable display.

[youtube][/youtube]
Does it mute signal when on?
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

NickS wrote:Guitar sound isn't bad on that.

[edit] Rhythm guitar, anyway. Didn't listen as far as anything with lead. Hate the "flute" though (or is it pan pipes?
Piccolo! At least the upper register melody wasn't in tune with the vocals, like the original. A huge breath requirement, air mostly wasted with every blow, the exaggerated "tttooo" to hit 2nd octave notes, I doubt KORG bods would intentionally try to catch such nuances in a sampled instrument, which one would try to rather conceal to create a multi-purpose sampled instrument.

I guess compared to the ol' Casio the thing sounds alright, though I being so spoiled by insane 3rd party libraries for KONTAKT like 8Dio am not impressed ;) Deep sampling is indeed an incredibly arduous process that is only as good as the coders for the sampler that later renders it to life, and as such like all of the all-in-one type machines, I think KORG may have spread things a bit thin but decently retains the big idea. Still, the greatest lack of realism I'm hearing is the absence of legato feel, which so many companies are trying to out-do each other with in the past 5-6 years or so now, starting with the Austrians and their still-respectable VSL.

But the fact that there is little round-robin multisampling on a snare drum being hit near max-velocity is usually the most obvious thing that will recall low-bit sampling of the venerable Roland R8 and even earlier units that certainly had their limits regarding realism, but when it comes to string instruments, it's insanely complicated to recreate timbre on the fly, let alone have any kind of human element of inconsistency and even a heaping amount of error to create modulation. The crazy stuff gets crazier when you consider change in timbre as a string's signal decays, which even affects shorter, strummed note intonations as well, so much so that our brain takes notice and is not fooled.
Last edited by ultratwin on Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Come to think of it, such natural decay is precisely why the legendary Hard Day's Night chord played by a "correct" arrangement of sampled instrumentation by the above machine won't cause a room full of Baby Boomers to gleefully erupt in an explosion of dormant boners the way Randy Bachman's demonstration did, and that's just the way it goes. The KORG's chord hit comes out static and lifeless.

[youtube][/youtube]