bought an Alesis Micron

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

bought an Alesis Micron

Post by Nick »

My band convinced me to gig with my old Yamaha combo organ I have instead of buying the new Roland VR09 I had my eye on. Saves me $900 at the expense of my back but I needed something more versatile to get electric piano and synth sounds. Needed something small, and everything small either has microkeys, is a monophonic synth, or is just a midi controller. Except this thing. Got it on craigslist for $175. Even came with a homemade makeshift hard case.

First impressions are great, this is just what I needed. Back 10 years ago when I bought a microkorg, my friends all scoffed at the Micron for some reason but having owned both I can't understand why. Now I just need to figure out the effects and DI part of this rig.
lorez

Post by lorez »

I considered a micron but reports on the interface/menu system made me think twice. Nice score though
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The interface is not the best I'll admit, in fact it's pretty terrible actually. The microkorg has easily accessible memory banks, and on this thing I still haven't figured out other than how to scroll through the presets (which actually doesn't take that long if you write down the numbers you need), but there's gotta be a better way. All I really need is a few of the patches I use in a row next to each other for a set, and it looks like there is a "favorites" list so I should be ok once I spend some time with it.

Reasons I love this though compared to the microkorg:

Full size keys
Sustain Pedal In
Expression Pedal In
I like the sound of it better, everyone uses the MK.
Better lcd screen makes it easier to navigate.

Obviously you lose the vocoder mic and push button presets, but the pros outweigh the cons for me.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I was looking at the manual of that once, and couldn't find any way to turn off the touch sensitivity. Is it true that you can't?

That would drive me up the wall.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Hmmm....just messing with it for a bit I found a way to CHANGE the sensitivity from low to high, but no I can't find a way to remove it completely.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

This was my first proper hardware synth, and I loved it. I only ended up selling it to help fund my Moog Little Phatty, as I mostly underutilized the Micron for Moogy monosynth sounds.

Nice community here and many patches available once you join:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/alesis-ion/info

I've been trying to purchase one again now that I'm much further along in my adventures with synthesis, as it's incredibly powerful. They were selling consistently for $300 USD, which is above what they sold for ($250) when they were clearanced/discontinued. I found the hardware interface rather serviceable when using the shortcuts, but there are a couple of computer-based editors that make life easier. I spun up a VM and used the midiCTRL editor for Windows:

http://midictrl.com

Here's a post I made when I first had it:

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25517

After reading it again, it's a rather interesting snapshot of where things were almost seven years ago with affordable synth hardware.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

More of a softsynth guy nowadays but my only remaining hardware synth is an Akai Miniak (which supposedly is just an altered layout of this) and will probably never get rid of it while it still works, too useful (most portable complete keys rig, and my only vocoder). I actually use a converter to make it my controller pretty often too because it looks sweet next to my APC40. I only wish it had USB.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

nice
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))