Bass songs

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

The Future
Tag-Team Champion

Bass songs

Post by The Future »

Wasn't sure what sction to put this in, but I now have my own bass and am wondering what some good songs to start with would be, or good bands in general. Also, any good sites with lessons and all that would help as well. Thanks dudez.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I'd suggest waiting to try out chili peppers stuff, but go through some of your favorite albums and you'll hear and notice cool bass lines, etc. then go to the google and search for the tabs.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Yea, I'd say the same thing as cowbell, just listen to music that you like and see which songs you'd like to learn on bass. The first songs I learned on bass were "chick magnet" by MxPx, and "carousel" by blink 182 and the song "Social" by squirtgun, it's the song at the beginning of the movie mallrats. They're all fun to play, but they might not be your cup of tea, just learn whatever songs you like.

Unless you learn new things pretty quickly, I wouldn't go for anything complicated like RHCP though, but since you play guitar, I'm sure you can handle something more complex than the basic root note bass songs.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

just jam along with some of your fav cd's, start with something simple to stay motivated :wink:

way way back i had a bass teacher (for a couple of months),
first song i learned was the cranberries' 'zombie' (yeah..i know), second one was maiden's 'number of the beast (again; yeah..i know), then it was tool stuff, then i left the course because i didn't feel like i was learning anything useful..sure it's fun to be able to play songs and they help you find your own style of playing but some theoretical baggage is very handy too when you start playing in bands. (scales, how to lock in with drums and not 'overplay' or erm 'underplay')

as long as you're having fun i guess, bass has always been my first love.8)
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

LONDON CALLING
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

As lame and obvious as it might sound, Nirvana had some great basslines.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Sugarloaf - Green Eyed Lady

TRUE STORY.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Beatles; Macca's an ace bassist, completely underrated, their early stuff'll help you establish the theory a bit easier too and you'll be walking all over in no time ;]
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Doog wrote:As lame and obvious as it might sound, Nirvana had some great basslines.
Yea! Nirvana had some awesome sounding basslines that are pretty easy to play.

And shadow's suggestion of London Calling is a great one too! Awesome sounding, powerful bassline, but still easy to play!
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

The white stripes have awesome bass lines too.

well actually the racunteers do.
matte30is
Gimme' head till I'm dead

Post by matte30is »

Play the "night court" intro.
iCEByTes wrote:V8 give me chills the sound of motor , the visual , oh man oh shit oh crap.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

matte30is wrote:Play the "night court" intro.
haha! +1

i play that sometimes during soundchecks. that and big bottom. it's a good test to see how cool the audience is. if i rip into big bottom and they start laughing, i know they'll enjoy my unique brand of humor.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

St. Jimmy wrote:
matte30is wrote:Play the "night court" intro.
haha! +1

i play that sometimes during soundchecks. that and big bottom. it's a good test to see how cool the audience is. if i rip into big bottom and they start laughing, i know they'll enjoy my unique brand of humor.
haha awesome!