Pickup opinions DONE

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

Pickup opinions DONE

Post by Thomas »

I'm putting together a guitar from bits and bobs I have in the house so that I can leave it at a friends for practices. I'm using the Cooterbuilt Black Jaguar body that will take any pickup apart from a wideranger with a vintage MM neck I picked up cheap. I'm leaning towards using a Dimarzio hummer I have in the bridge and maybe a Humbucker sized P90 in the neck. I'm loving the splittable humbucker in my scumburst jag.

This is kinda the same setup but the opposite of what I usually do pickup-wise (single coil neck and SC sized bucker in the bridge). This will have a 3 way switch and a slider for splitting the humbucker.

I love the look of the Warman ones but have never used them so I'd like to know if any of you good people have tried them? Or if you have any alternatives. Nothing expensive tho as it's just for a wee runaround. It'd probably look great with 2 of these but I'm going for versatility.
Hwere is the Warman P90 I mean:

Here is the guitar it'll be going into:

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Also if anyone is selling some vintage size split shaft F tuners and Jag switches with screws please send me a PM.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

That looks a lot like a artec pickup. Looks very GFSey to me.

Not really an answer: but I'm loving P-Rails at the minute. The P-90 sound is great, the two hum bucker sounds are great, and the rail sound is ... useful and nice to have.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Nice I hadn't even though of one of those... Cheers for the input. How much do they usually go for?

I think all these brands use the same factory. The warman ones come as a matching set for £24 which seems like a total steal (then I can turn it full P90 in the future if i want to. They are also wax potted and I didn't think the Artec ones were.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

That is a steal.

P-rails are normal SD prices, so what, £80? Dunno what you might end up getting one for second hand. Think I got one on here for £30 or £40.

I have two of them installed on an Ibanez with Triple-shot mounting rings and then push pull pots for phase/series between the two pickups.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

They're def something I'll try out if one crosses my path. They sound pretty awesome.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I picked up a set of the p90s from my first post.They're great, wax potted and non squealy and they have a good amount of poke. I'll probably fit the Dimarzio HB in the bridge position but I'm waiting for a filtertron style chrome cover to make it match the overall look better.

Here it is as it stands for now: