How do I shot pearloid web?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

ekwatts
A series of tubes

How do I shot pearloid web?

Post by ekwatts »

Basically, I want to know how to apply a pearloid finish like the above. It looks fantastic, and I want to know.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

I'm guessing that's a plastic veneer that's just glued on.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

How easy is that to do, then? I know Brandoni make pearloid covered strat bodies, but they're rather expensive.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

I don't really know, but I'm guessing that if you could find the pearloid plastic veneer, it would be pretty easy. Just cut it and glue it on. Although I suppose if you didn't want the added thickness you'd have to plane the body down a bit.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Nah, actually, looking at it again, the plastic curves round the contours and meets, so it's like a moulded casing around the guitar. That'd be way harder, and not something I think you could do yourself. Unless you have a vacuum moulding device?
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Gavin wrote:Nah, actually, looking at it again, the plastic curves round the contours and meets, so it's like a moulded casing around the guitar. That'd be way harder, and not something I think you could do yourself. Unless you have a vacuum moulding device?
Damn, it's like silverising lego pieces.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Gavin wrote:Nah, actually, looking at it again, the plastic curves round the contours and meets, so it's like a moulded casing around the guitar. That'd be way harder, and not something I think you could do yourself. Unless you have a vacuum moulding device?
That's what I was thinking too.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I thought that sort of thing was basically just a sticker over the finish. I've seen pictures of guitar with shiny/flashy/holographic bits on it and every time it was a sticker. I don't know for sure if this thing is but it looks that way to me.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Good question, I'm just as curious.

Warmoth just added this to their showcase, and you gotsa wonder how it's done:

Image Image
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

lookin at the warmoth, it looks like its a veneer. but i reckon you could find some pearl lookin paper and do a paisley type finnish.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I don't know how thay do it, but paper is a good answer.

Notice Warmouth only did the front. Wrapping the edges is the beyotches. I wonder if you got pearly in a single layer how bendy it would be--might not be bad. I would like to see it on a Tele with a sharply delineated edge, better still with binding. Then it would have a natural stopping point.

I don't think I would want to encase an entire guitar in thick plastic unless it was to make a statement that all differences in wood tones are a hoax on electric guitars. Does the difference matter, and will anyone hear it from my basement? That sort of thing.
Yell Like Hell
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

a guy i know has a strat covered in TWEED!

it's awesome I wish i had pictures

found it here: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6174