marshall jvm: really fucked

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

marshall jvm: really fucked

Post by dots »

just got the word today from the independent repair dude that the logic board on the jvm 410h i brought in is literally burned out (see pic). he says it's about a 4" piece of board that will need to be removed and replaced with a new one. gotta take it to an authorized service center about 30 miles away, and i have illusions: this will not be cheap.

that said, anybody have any idea what i can expect to pay? i figure an hour or two in labor, but a logic board? i guess it controls the channel switching and whatnot.

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

so i guess that pic isn't the logic board. it's a spot where i had to have a shop perform a mod of removing two fuses per marshall's spec several years back. still need the logic board. :x
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Write to Marshall. It's worth a shot.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Yes, it is. Also posted on the jvm board. Didn't some wayward shortscaler help found that place?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Any joy yet?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

still need to get back to the shop i dropped it off at. it's kind of a consignment deal the tech has with a few places around the county.

i'll have to drive downtown to a shop to get it fixed unfortunately, which also means taking a day off work to do it.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

dots wrote:Yes, it is. Also posted on the jvm board. Didn't some wayward shortscaler help found that place?
Mike was a mod!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

that little two-timer!
NickS

Post by NickS »

Logic board? 4 inch piece that will have to be replaced?? Whut??? I am clearly in the dark when it comes to the JVM410, nothing like the JTM612 or the TSL?
NickS

Post by NickS »

Ah, Front Panel Board 2? JVM-410-61-02? The thing with switches and reverb controls that drives lights and relays?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

yes, that appears to be the one. =[

I am hoping to have time to pick up the amp from the shop on Friday and maybe drop it off to the authorized service dudes on Saturday (luckily, they are open).
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

reviving this thread as having my jvm parked behind me the last year has reached a point where i just want to get the damned thing fixed and am confident after opening it up to inspect that i can do the work myself. if it's just replacing a board? that should be fairly simple, no?

so i've reached out to the folks at this site since i couldn't find a marshall parts dealer in the states. the only roughly 4" board i could find was this one:
β–Ί Show Spoiler
if it is instead the front panel board, then hopefully those dudes can tell me. in either case, i believe i can sort it out, just need the right part(s).

what i'd love to do is return to working order and decide whether it's worth keeping around mostly for silent recording or that pie-in-the-sky idea of having a granny flat studio (a la al_) someday, or just sell it to some kid who will rock the eff out with it. i can't part with it or use it in its current state, tho.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Did you try Kdog at Marshall USA service?

Kevin (Kdog) Drury
Marshall USA Service
1000 Corporate Grove Dr.
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
800-877-6863
[email protected]
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i have now. =]

the dudes in the UK actually have an online store with a bunch of parts available, so they seemed a logical choice. would prefer to buy more local, so i emailed mr. drury.

thanks, nick!
NickS

Post by NickS »

Yeah, I was looking at PAS's site last week as they seem to be the cheapest place for the TSL100 main board.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

yes, interestingly enough (and if not for the VAT), i could replace all of the boards relatively cheap.

the PAS sales guy responded overnight, and mentioned the same board you did years back, nick, and it is definitely different dimensions (7x2) than the fella gave me in 2015. i'm betting he was calling the DSP board (which seems to be about 4" square, the photo i added yesterday) the "logic board", and who knows at this point whether that is the problem? in any event, PAS emailed a second time asking the same question, so i am inquiring as to whether both parts are in stock and what the price would be, understanding that i will pay about 20% +customs to get it. we'll see if the american shop gets back to me.
NickS

Post by NickS »

You shouldn't have to pay VAT, though I don't know what import duty you'd pay in the US. Hopefully less than 20% :lol:
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

hopefully not, though that was his guidance. i'm an import n00b admittedly and know eff-all tbh. 8)
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

hit me up when you get the cost of the parts. Ill go in on part of it with you.

Also for DI recording and stage use I ordered one of the new tone master Deluxe Reverbs. Attenuator and DI. Actually solid state but damn if they are not super close to a real deluxe (down to a little EQing.) Kind of a non need as I have a fractal now I need to dial in but still wanted an amp and haven't had a proper electric apo since I sold you the prosonic. Did I mention its 22 lbs.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

no sweat, mickie, i've dragged my feet on this for years, so it's on me. i will ask, though, did you ever find the slip cover for the head? i left it at that warehouse after strike! :lol: