marshall jvm: really fucked

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

dots wrote:no sweat, mickie, i've dragged my feet on this for years, so it's on me. i will ask, though, did you ever find the slip cover for the head? i left it at that warehouse after strike! :lol:
Never did but I am happy to order one for you. Give us an excuse to break bread and beer.....
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i'll see if these parts do the trick. and then we can meet up to celebrate/commiserate!
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

sweet. Ill wait to make sure it you get it working then Ill order a cover for it. Still have the vox and prosonic?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Yep, havent fired them up recently, tho. That prosonic's overdrive is monstrous!
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

dots wrote:Yep, havent fired them up recently, tho. That prosonic's overdrive is monstrous!
yep. Great amp
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

the DSP board is only about $25 while the front panel board is about $125ish. it's not the money but the wasted time, and both the guys who replied to my emails strongly recommended taking it to a shop. normally, i might roll the dice, order the parts, and see what happens since the closest repair shop is 90 minutes' drive away, but i happen to be headed that way this weekend and can drop it off on the way home saturday. it's the same place that repaired it for warranty work when the amp was only a couple of years old and hadn't had that many hours on it, so i know they do good work.
NickS

Post by NickS »

dots wrote:the DSP board is only about $25 while the front panel board is about $125ish. it's not the money but the wasted time, and both the guys who replied to my emails strongly recommended taking it to a shop. normally, i might roll the dice, order the parts, and see what happens since the closest repair shop is 90 minutes' drive away, but i happen to be headed that way this weekend and can drop it off on the way home saturday. it's the same place that repaired it for warranty work when the amp was only a couple of years old and hadn't had that many hours on it, so i know they do good work.
It makes me wonder whether I should invest in a couple of DSP boards just to resell in 20 years when you can't get them from Marshall...
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

probably not a bad idea! i have no idea how long they crank out those types of parts or if they're used in other models.
NickS

Post by NickS »

The major issue with maintenance of microelectronics like DSPs is there tend to be newer, better ones coming along all the time and the old ones become obsolete and unavailable, like the Analog Devices ADSP-2115 that used to be in various sound cards.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

yep, and once it was identified what that "4 inch board" did, it became suspicious to me that the DSP would be the issue. it's not like reverb is what's broken, and i rarely use that anyway. the problem is the amp just stop pushing out sound completely and doesn't come back until you turn it off/on. mind, i'm no circuit bender, so maybe there's something i don't know enough about how the signal is being routed and that a malfunction of the DSP could bring the whole thing to halt. nfc.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

stopped by music mike's on saturday only to find they had moved shop across the street to the giant outdoor mall. put the amp back in the car, drove over, then dragged the amp into the new location only to find that the marshall tech retired at the beginning of the year, and the shop had no plans to replace him. the clerk on duty gave me a handwritten name and number ("texts work much better") for contacting a "local guy" they could recommend. since that situation was pretty much the same i had in my own town, i thanked them and dragged the jvm back to the car. :x

the next closest is up on orange county on main st (not far from disneyland lol). another day trip is in my future.