Supersonic pawn pickups

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

broomhandle

Supersonic pawn pickups

Post by broomhandle »

Picked up a 2012 super sonic. I noticed the pickups are super loud, and not the clearest... I took it to a tech. He did a coil tap push/pull and tone mod. He said the pickups are super hot. The coil tap sounds cool but the humb buckets are still loud and dirty. Anybody?

Anybody swapped out?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Check what pots they've got in it. They're probably mismatched.
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

I swapped the original pot for a bourns 500k push pull, and I left the original pot. Which is a weird pot. But 500k. Solid shaft...
HNB

Post by HNB »

Maybe a ground wire is messed up?
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

anybody else with the fender super sonic think the pickups are super loud and over the top?
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

nobody has anything to say about super sonic pickups? the both measure at 15k.

and the problem to replace is that fender used the 3 bolt humbucker, which nobody makes...
paul_

Post by paul_ »

You could use another Fender 3-hole style pickup (sourced from Amazon, eBay, independent sites) with a more moderate output such as the Diamondback, Twin Head "vintage", Tex-Mex, etc... stay away from the Enforcers and Atomic Humbucker (one of which you likely already have in the guitar).
Alternatively you could drill an extra hole in the pickguard between the existing two on the bass side. Those Fender pickups actually have 3 mounting holes on both sides so you can use them in any orientation or with any pickguard; the two bass-side screws aid angling of the pickup relative to pitched strings and also stop it moving when struck or rested on.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

paul_ wrote:You could use another Fender 3-hole style pickup (sourced from Amazon, eBay, independent sites) with a more moderate output such as the Diamondback, Twin Head "vintage", Tex-Mex, etc... stay away from the Enforcers and Atomic Humbucker (one of which you likely already have in the guitar).
Alternatively you could drill an extra hole in the pickguard between the existing two on the bass side. Those Fender pickups actually have 3 mounting holes on both sides so you can use them in any orientation or with any pickguard; the two bass-side screws aid angling of the pickup relative to pitched strings and also stop it moving when struck or rested on.

I was thinking about other fender pickups. Does anybody know of other 3 bolt humb pickups? I'm looking for that warm vintage sound
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Schaller pickups can be set up that way, they have three holes on each side. I don't know if the spacing matches though, but they have detailed diagrams on their site, you can measure.
http://guitar-pickups.biz/hp12743/Humbucker.htm?ITServ=CY3fea284X1507a2cc4f9XY5d39

Also Fender Vista pickups, but you might not be happy with those either.

I keep reading the thread title "Supersonic prawn pickups".
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts