Nut replacement

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Fran
The Curmudgeon

Nut replacement

Post by Fran »

Before i hit the google button i'm looking for some opinions on nut replacement and tips on fitting. My Strat hybrid currently has a poorly cut plastic nut on the neck and i'm looking at the options available...

Good olde Plastic
Brass
Bone
Deez

Advantages/Disadvantages?

I picked up a bone nut for one english pound today but it is slightly too wide, deep for the slot and the string grooves need cutting.
I assume i can adjust this to size with files and a fine hacksaw (for the top string slots).

Thanks.
mumblyjoe

Post by mumblyjoe »

Plastic - cheap but break easy and not good for tone
Bone or "Tusk" - nice vintage tone, quiet strong, relatively cheap, hard to work with (ie file and install)
Brass - bright tone, very strong, more expensive
Graphite - allows smoothest trem movement, strong but brittle

That's from memory, havent looked into new nuts for a while.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

well, for one, all you really need to do is simply copy the plastic nut...yanno...lay the plastic on the bone, and score the shape with an X-Acto knife or something...then file it down to fit. As for the width and all that, I use a bastard file and 100 grit sandpaper. For the grooves, a japanese pull saw and needle files.

With the sandpaper, I like to lay it down on the table, and "rub" the bone nut across...just don't get too crazy, as bone cuts really nicely.
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

Brass: Awsome Sustain , stable , easy bends , Cons a bit metalic sound
Graphite : nice Sustain , Soap do to bends Cons less sustain than Bone and Bras
Graph tech: Based on Graphite , Enhanced Graphite more sustain than graphite
Bone : Very nice sustain , classic tone , very compact and safe
Plastic : i dont use , is a shit , pore , and tone killer , hard to do bends
Precise dwarf bravery
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Kewl.

Bone sounds good to me and the techniques you mentioned Aug are the ones i was considering. :wink:

As for removing the old nut would it be best to 'knock' it out sideways or 'pull/prise' out from above?

*Edit* I'm assuming it is easier to cut the slots when the nut is fixed in place stable?
Last edited by Fran on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Fran wrote:Kewl.

Bone sounds good to me and the techniques you mentioned Aug are the ones i was considering. :wink:

As for removing the old nut would it be best to 'knock' it out sideways or 'pull/prise' out from above?
not sure of the "best" way...but, I like to tap them on the side...that usually does it.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

lets not forget a LSR roller nut, they kick it! but you have to cut the nut slot in fretboard wider so it will fit, but thats it, then it comes with shims for adjustments, etc. but I wouldn't put one on a vintage instrument.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

More Cowbell wrote:lets not forget a LSR roller nut, they kick it! but you have to cut the nut slot in fretboard wider so it will fit, but thats it, then it comes with shims for adjustments, etc. but I wouldn't put one on a vintage instrument.
I can't believe you're recommending a roller nut. :shock:
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

So how many of you guys think you could hear the same guitar played with all of those different nut types, and be able to tell which is which?
Shabba.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Just from a few opinions i think go for bone, plus i have one here.
I'll set to it tomorrow along with spraying that headstock while i'm at it! ((hellyeah))

Aug, did you cut your slots prior to fitting or when the nut was firmly in place?
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

I always cut the slots with the nut installed. There's a good chance you could scratch the fingerboard/headstock, but it's the only way to make sure you get the grooves at just the right depth.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Aug wrote:
More Cowbell wrote:lets not forget a LSR roller nut, they kick it! but you have to cut the nut slot in fretboard wider so it will fit, but thats it, then it comes with shims for adjustments, etc. but I wouldn't put one on a vintage instrument.
I can't believe you're recommending a roller nut. :shock:
I"m not recommending, I'm only reminding people of a roller nut.

I have a roller nut on my JS and it is the shit.

I'd never hack up a guitar to put one in it, but if I was having another warmoth neck made, I'd have it routed for one.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

FDPMOJOTONECUNTS!
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

You can get into all of the various debates on the "tone" of various nuts, but honestly the difference is so small, I just buy bone blanks from the local shop for $3 and be done with it. I will admit it is a bitch to work, though. I have to refill and recut the first three slots in the one I just did for my beater strat.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Doog wrote:FDPMOJOTONECUNTS!
Scatter-wound/Alnico pups?!!
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

Fran wrote:Kewl.

*Edit* I'm assuming it is easier to cut the slots when the nut is fixed in place stable?
yep , like aug talked

also stew mac have pre-shapped bones , but they are a bit expensive
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddl ... _Nuts.html
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddl ... _Nuts.html
Precise dwarf bravery
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

iCEByTes wrote:Do graphite
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

Billy3000 wrote:
iCEByTes wrote:Do graphite
i like more graphtech
and i reccomend only if you gonna do tremolo like my jag-stang or my white beauty , Melissa my Dreadnought and my nylon guitar use bone parts :)
Precise dwarf bravery