Strat's are meant to be black...

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

Strat's are meant to be black...

Post by dezb1 »

Or so my musical taste would have me believe:

Will Sergeant
Ed O'Brien
Teh Kurtz
The Edge
Bob Mould
Dave Gilmore
Nick Zinner
Stephen Malkmus

This is a relatively pointless thread but it explains why every Strat I've ever owned has been black, a colour choice I would avoid in almost any other model of guitar... Apart form an Ibanez Iceman
Last edited by dezb1 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Hendrix and Clapper too

actually Jimi didn't play a white one that often, just at Woodstock he did.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Claptout is the reason I usually end up selling my strats the stigma of EC ends up overwhelming me...
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Strats, Jags and Jazzmasters were all meant to be sunburst, which is why they all originally were unless you spent extra money.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Jags and jazzmasters should be sunburst but not a strat... Just doesn't suit it.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

The look of a 50's sunburst Strat with a maple neck is fantastic, reminds me of Buddy Guy and Buddy Holly. But I do like the late 60's/70's bigger headstock Strat in black or white.

paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

I normally think that strats are the ugliest guitars to be ever made(after the sg and most "modern" designs), but this http://www.music-city.cz/fender-custom- ... 29943.html all fucking black with the yellowed maple neck and cream pickups and knobs. The most fucking beautiful ever thing ever :D
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

You don't like the SG? Are you mad?
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Black's a boring colour for a guitar, unless it's a Ric, but then that's Jetglo.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

BobArsecake wrote:Black's a boring colour for a guitar, unless it's a Ric, but then that's Jetglo.
Generally I would agree, with both these points. Do that's Strats, Ricks, and ice men
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

I'm a white Strat guy. Whenever I think of a black Strat it looks tacky, with dull paint, and a bright white scratch plate that's waiting to go grey. Eventually the whole thing looks ready for going to, or as if it's just been picked up from a Cash Converters.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Ike invented this shit on SBL

1961 SB FUCKING L, WITH A ROSEWOOD FRETBOARD A YEAR BEFORE ANY OTHER LOSERS COULD BUY ONE IN THE STORE

ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

I love the look of the Gilmour black-n-maple, and large headstock early 70s is nice too.

Also: Moollon fuzzes in full effect...

[youtube][/youtube]
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Well all my talk of black Strat's have been leading to one conclusion... Ordered a new project:

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

1. Strat is one of the classiest and beautiful guitars ever made. Plus it is the most comfortable, compact and ergonomic guitar
2. Strat is the choice of those who CAN play and who play boring music. For this reason for the rest strat is not beautiful
3. Black is a dull color that is good for collecting fingerprints. Black guitars tend to be invisible or vague onstage
4. Sunburst is a great color for strat ( les paul, les paul junior, ES, melody maker, 50's duo sonic, jaguar, firebird, telecaster)
5. My strat is surf green. I can't play the guitar. I'm not crazy about it, but it is the most comfortable guitar that I've owned/played
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

i'm slightly biased towards sunburst these days. i used to hate sunburst guitars in general, but kinda my thing now. especially if they've faded a little bit over time. i'd love a maple necked black strat for the faux-gilmour moments in life.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

sunshiner wrote:2. Strat is the choice of those who CAN play and who play boring music. For this reason for the rest strat is not beautiful.
I think this is the main problem with the Strat, Clapton, Mayer and all the other gurning blooz dudes have left a dirty mark on the Strat that many (including me) can't get past, even though I could write a substantially long list of good (from my perspective) musicians how use them.
George

Post by George »

black strat with white pickguard is the most ubiquitous config i can think of but it can still look cool
Noisy Cat

Post by Noisy Cat »

sunshiner wrote:Strat is the choice of those who CAN play and who play boring music.
This.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

very true, but strat is also the choice of noobs who can't play, myself included when I started out.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts