I can smell your borked mapple and it's triffic

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

I can smell your borked mapple and it's triffic

Post by timhulio »

It's like a kind of sweet pipe smoke. Really nice. It was strong when I got the guitar earlier this year (2011 SG Jr) but then I lem oiled the fretboard and the smell faded. Now it's back.

Can anyone else smell baked maple? Is it just me?

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Don't have teh baked maples my sg has teh rosewood.
George

Post by George »

smells like indictment
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I baked maple in the oven. Read somewhere one dude said that you can bake maple in the oven. Decided to make some baked maple fretboards for me. Put two thin blanks of maple in the oven and set the temperature according to the instruction. 15 minutes later they started to burn, I took two curled and burning blanks of maple and threw them inside the bathtub, then in to the trash can. Apartment had smelled very nice for a week, like you were sitting somewhere in the forest next to open fire enjoying a warm summer day
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Maybe the instructions were for °F and your oven is °C ?
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

The instruction was for F and I transfered them into C. Maybe my oven gives more than it is supposed to or maybe the guy gave wrong numbers
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

What year is that SG? It looks great. I never realised they used baked maple on any of these. I thought when Gibson were having wood issues (ooo missus) they were using Baked maple for ebony and that obeche stuff for rosewood? Tho lots of stuff from that ere say the fretboards were rosewood on the spec sheets.

Weird.
George

Post by George »

Thomas wrote:What year is that SG? It looks great. I never realised they used baked maple on any of these. I thought when Gibson were having wood issues (ooo missus) they were using Baked maple for ebony and that obeche stuff for rosewood? Tho lots of stuff from that ere say the fretboards were rosewood on the spec sheets.

Weird.
Specs sheets at the time said baked maple, and yes it was the replacement for Rosewood, but you can imagine a lot that being lost to the ether now due to casual guitar hobbyists not realising, coincidentally "forgetting", and also the window of baked maple being relatively short
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Sounds like something I'd love to take a whiff of, looks like something Carl Barât would have on call at a gig in case a random vintage sunburst Melody Maker crapped out (no harm there).

In a very similar sense, modern Gretsch cases (And subsequently the guitars themselves) are by far my favorite guitar-based fragrances at the moment. They smell like something halfway between vanilla extract and bourbon-cured pipe tobacco, though some have said it's actually nothing more than the bond used in case construction.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Yep it's a much nicer smell now it's faded a bit. I can only assume this guitar was kept in a case from new and barely used. Can't see why, as it's really fun to play - super light and resonant. I've only tried a vintage '68 in comparison, and this one sounds much brighter. Is this because of the maple board or because the pickup is new, I really don't know. I think they only made the baked maple sg jrs in 2011.

Here's the skinny on baking the maple. The process requires baking in the absence of oxygen (which is why that wood burnt in the oven!) then Gibson inject some water back in... somehow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrefaction
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

my only gibson is a les paul bfg and it's rosewood.. i really want to love it.. i'm coming around to it lately. it sat for a while because i like fender's so much.. i love marc bolan and billy gibbons so i think i'll make myself play it more. might be good for the scott weiland comp.. hmm.

really handsome guitar tim.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
Zack

Post by Zack »

sick sg, I thought you weren't supposed to use lemon oils on maple, nbd cause it's baked or is it all hogwash?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

George wrote:Specs sheets at the time said baked maple, and yes it was the replacement for Rosewood, but you can imagine a lot that being lost to the ether now due to casual guitar hobbyists not realising, coincidentally "forgetting", and also the window of baked maple being relatively short
Yeah it can be really hard to figure out what was one some instruments from that time. Especially if the original owner doesn't know. Two of my SGs are from the time one model was transitioning to another and as such finding info on them when I was buying was difficult. Luckily Gibson are pretty on it with their records and matching the serial number to the specific spec, right down to the colour.

I want to sniff a baked maple board now...
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

I love the baked maple for necks and it's very stable. It looks great for fretboards too! For rosewood boards i tend to prefer a darker uniform color. I don't mind at all if companies dye their rosewood or ebony. I think the rosewood on my RGD might be dyed.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I've never had the pleasure of sniffing baked maple but most glossy Gibsons that were kept in cases also retain the sweet smell of the finish and polishing compounds (a sort of vanilla-like aroma) which could definitely be influencing the pipe tobacco impression. I can imagine a bit of cooked wood smell on top of that new gibson smell would remind me of that exactly.

They definitely used obeche on the singlecut Les Paul Jrs at one point, when they were doing them in Pelham.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Janine

Post by Janine »

I want a baked maple baked guitar. So jelly :o
Hello, I'm Janine.