Is my guitar going to kill me?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

vojtasTS29

Is my guitar going to kill me?

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Well i basically have that weird problem, where my guitar hums very lightly with lots of distortion, and you can hear it pop very quietly when i touch the strings and the hum goes away... But that is home volume... also when i touch any metal on the guitar plugged into one amp with a plugged in cable from another amp, the other amp pops quite a lot. I am kinda afraid of me being the ground in case of bad microphone polarity on a show... My amp has a 3-prong plug that works fine.
George

Post by George »

yeah dude you're fucked
NickS

Post by NickS »

Something is not properly grounded. Does your amp have a 3-pin mains plug?
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

^Yup, but it could be a lot of things, from the guitar to a bad AC installation.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Pour beer on it.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Fakir Mustache wrote:^Yup, but it could be a lot of things, from the guitar to a bad AC installation.
True. Get a 2m copper spike, drive 1.8m into the ground and water it to ensure good contact. Run a heavy cable from the spike to the chassis of your amplifier.

This tip brought to you by courtesy of Alistair Cook, my former colleague who toured with Pink Floyd as a lighting desk engineer in the 70s.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Found out that it happens only with the guitar being in a single position, so i think it might be a cold solder joint somewhere on the ground lead inside.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

well. I did some research and was thinking. Is there actually a way to make you safe from getting accidentaly zapped to death by the mic when playing for example squats and other places with homemade and shitty wiring? I mean i got a mic shock few times in my life, and i am kind of afraid of that :D Maybe putting like a big resistor on the ground wire or something to limit the fucked mic-your body-guitar-ground current?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

You could wear a full rubber bodysuit and mask, but then the whole band has to do it or else you'll just look stupid.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
NickS

Post by NickS »

vojtasTS29 wrote:well. I did some research and was thinking. Is there actually a way to make you safe from getting accidentaly zapped to death by the mic when playing for example squats and other places with homemade and shitty wiring? I mean i got a mic shock few times in my life, and i am kind of afraid of that :D Maybe putting like a big resistor on the ground wire or something to limit the fucked mic-your body-guitar-ground current?
I use a windshield to stop me getting a little buzz. I bought a pack of 5 off eBay and keep one in the car. Kind of like a condom really.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

wow. One would not think how trolled can you get just for asking a pretty crucial questions when you play punkmade venues.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

vojtasTS29 wrote:wow. One would not think how trolled can you get just for asking a pretty crucial questions when you play punkmade venues.
really?

ANYWAYS.

you'll be fine, just stop eating the mic, get a P screen, it'll look silly, however, you won't get sick form other peoples saliva anymore via mic transfers.
also check the soldier job on the pickups.
maybe run a wire from yr ground to the bridge as well..
paul_

Post by paul_ »

vojtasTS29 wrote:punkmade venues
pahahahahahaha

Electrician breaks beer bottle over junction box, "NO FEW-CHAHHH!!!"
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I think if you use a surge protector you shouldn't have any issues in venues with dodgy wiring. I don't use one because I like to live on the edge.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Freddy V-C wrote:I think if you use a surge protector you shouldn't have any issues in venues with dodgy wiring. I don't use one because I like to live on the edge.
Don't rely on a surge arrestor; it doesn't provide isolation, just over-voltage protection. Insulation and isolation are the options. To protect against liveness on the mike use a windshield or pop filter and don't touch the mic (Les Harvey of Stone The Crows died when he grabbed the mic and was earthed through his guitar). The alternative is audio isolating transformers, like >>these<< 600 ohm ones for mics or >>these<< for high impedance e.g. guitar. As they're only 10k I'd use a buffer in front of those and use an isolated pedal PSU.
George

Post by George »

vojtasTS29 wrote:Found out that it happens only with the guitar being in a single position, so i think it might be a cold solder joint somewhere on the ground lead inside.
if you're saying its noisy with single coils and quiet in the middle position between two single coils, then that's called "hum cancelling"

hum or buzz or whatever you want to call it is a consequence of single coils and completely normal

you can shield your control or pickup cavity to improve it or just buy a different construction of pickup. as others have said it could also be your bridge or some other element isn't earthed correctly
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

noo. i meant that it didn't happen with the guitar laying on the bed, but it did happen when the guitar was standing/hanging and stuff. :D Well i might get a pop filter than. Even tho i usually eat the microphone a lot. :D