Refretting question

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Refretting question

Post by Mo Law-ka »

Lank

I'm thinking of buying this mandolin:

It looks like it needs a refret, fingerboard binding, and a new saddle. Having worked with Robert(original) many years ago on a guitar he was binding, I feel relatively confident doing that work, as well as crafting a new saddle. The only issue is doing a refret; I've never done one before and I don't want to fuck this up.
Does anyone have tips for going about a refretting? The going rate at the local shops is around $15/fret, but I want to learn a new skill. I'd be doing it alone without any real guidance.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
royb8s

Post by royb8s »

From the little experience I have (3 fender style necks), if it has a lot of value to you not to mess it up, like a family heirloom, I would recommend leaving this to a pro. If that is not the case, and you want to give it a try, I say step one is Youtube videos on fretting. There are hundreds of videos on doing it. Some are great, and some not so good, but watch them all. If you can get a fret caul, and have a fret press, or drill press, nippers, files, and fret wire bender, that is most of the tools. The biggest problem I can see in doing this is supporting the neck while pressing in the frets that are over the body of the guitar. The best advice I have is watch vids, take your time and do not rush it.
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

My tip is to get a few shitty acoustic guitars to train your skills with. Ones that have outplayed frets or other issues are not expensive. Do a couple of them. Acquiring a new skill is not a bad investment. Actually it might be the only good one, actively pursuing new experiences the other one.

Possible bonus: those acoustics get a new life and you recycle stuff that would get thrown away. What is there to lose?