Replacing tuners

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Noisy Cat

Replacing tuners

Post by Noisy Cat »

I want to replace the modern-style tuners on my Chinese-made reissue Fender Starcaster for vintage-style ones (as found on most Jags, JMs, Mustangs).

Does anyone know if they'd drop in easily, without the need for drilling holes, etc?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

You'll need conversion bushings to take the holes' diameter down to vintage spec on your headstock. GFS sell them and a few other places too, can probably find them all over ebay etc

You'll probably need to drill new mounting holes for the Kluson types and the mounting holes from the current tuners may be visible after... but from the front of the headstock everything will look legit.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Noisy Cat

Post by Noisy Cat »

paul_ wrote:You'll need conversion bushings to take the holes' diameter down to vintage spec on your headstock. GFS sell them and a few other places too, can probably find them all over ebay etc

You'll probably need to drill new mounting holes for the Kluson types and the mounting holes from the current tuners may be visible after... but from the front of the headstock everything will look legit.
Ah OK, thanks.

That's way too much hassle for my liking.