Black Gorgon (FFO: Hella, Black Pus, Lightning Bolt)

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Black Gorgon (FFO: Hella, Black Pus, Lightning Bolt)

Post by Freddy V-C »

I recorded this EP a couple of weeks ago for my mate Jack Gordon (aka Black Gorgon).

I'm really pleased with how it's turned out. I experimented with a few techniques I haven't used much before (mics taped down to the floor, vocals recorded in the same room as the drums with the same room mics set up, using one mono 'underhead' mic at about waist height to pick up the full kit instead of a pair of overheads...). There's also much tighter compression than I would normally use on both the very bottom end and the very top end.

I would have liked to have the room sound more prominent on the drums, but I ended up having to mix them really snappy in order to cut through because the bass synth parts are so busy.

Anyway, without further ado, HERE IT IS.

Let me know your thoughts!
Doog
mid-century modem

Re: Black Gorgon (FFO: Hella, Black Pus, Lightning Bolt)

Post by Doog »

Sounds great, dude!

I'd personally reign back on the vocal ambience a bit, but I can appreciate the vox are almost being used more as a texture than being 'spoken word' or whatever, so maybe homeboy doesn't give a fuck about them being complete indecipherable.

Although it's totally down to the drumkit and the condition of the heads, I'd personally like to hear more resonance on the toms, especially in a fairly sparse arrangement like this. I normally just fudge around with a GEQ until I find where they're ringy-est, and tweak accordingly.. not sure if that's a good approach or not, haha.

re: floortapin', I do the same for room mics! Dat low end transference
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Thanks man, glad you like it! Initially the vocals were a lot clearer, but Jack was really into the idea of them being 'textural'. I imagine partly because a lot of the words aren't lyrics as such, he just tends to warble and make things up on the spot.

Jack's kit is all totally dead as well, so there wasnt really much of a ringing frequency to be brought out on the floor tom. I kind of like it that way though...
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Freddy V-C wrote:
Jack's kit is all totally dead as well, so there wasnt really much of a ringing frequency to be brought out on the floor tom. I kind of like it that way though...
You would...
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

WOW. rad
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))