stew's synth emporium

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Stewart, was it you that got the Deepmind 12? If so, how are you finding it after some ownership time?

If not, then disregard.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

That was me. It's a great synth. It has so many options that I'm still learning something new every time i use it.

Like the DSI stuff it has so many routing options that you can get a bit carried away/lost in it sometimes.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Thomas wrote:That was me. It's a great synth. It has so many options that I'm still learning something new every time i use it.

Like the DSI stuff it has so many routing options that you can get a bit carried away/lost in it sometimes.
Oh, sorry Thomas, thought it was Stew.

Yeah, I want a full sized hardware synth. I currently have a microKorg, volca keys+FM, and the Boutique D-05. I find the microKorg too much of a pain in the ass to programme, the keys is good, the FM good but only really for presets, and the D-05 again, mainly presets.

I know very little about synthesis and would like to know more. Could the Deepmind be a good option, or are there other polysynths around the same price or cheaper I should be looking at?
www.lowrisemusic.com

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I think the Minilogue is more affordable than the Deepmind, and I really love my Minilogue. I haven't used a Deepmind though so can't really comment.

My housemate just bought a Moog Sub 37 so basically right now I'm just dead jealous of that.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Freddy V-C wrote:I think the Minilogue is more affordable than the Deepmind, and I really love my Minilogue. I haven't used a Deepmind though so can't really comment.

My housemate just bought a Moog Sub 37 so basically right now I'm just dead jealous of that.
Yeah minilogue is a good shout. Our bassist has one and it sounds great (he's a great player too, so that helps).
www.lowrisemusic.com

lorez

Post by lorez »

Gus, is there not a web editor for the Microkorg? I had one for my korg R3 which proved useful.

Also check out the YouTube videos from the new York school of synthesis to learn all about synths.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

lorez wrote:Gus, is there not a web editor for the Microkorg? I had one for my korg R3 which proved useful.

Also check out the YouTube videos from the new York school of synthesis to learn all about synths.
Excellent, thank you. I will do!
www.lowrisemusic.com

lorez

Post by lorez »

gusman2x wrote:
lorez wrote:Gus, is there not a web editor for the Microkorg? I had one for my korg R3 which proved useful.

there are a couple of books and other resources i can PM you about if you want?
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

lorez wrote:
gusman2x wrote:

Yes, that would be super cool thanks. I got that drum programming handbook, so looking forward to sitting down with that over the coming weeks.
www.lowrisemusic.com

lorez

Post by lorez »

gusman2x wrote:
lorez wrote:
gusman2x wrote: Excellent, thank you. I will do!
Yes, that would be super cool thanks. I got that drum programming handbook, so looking forward to sitting down with that over the coming weeks.
Done
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

Just took delivery of a Yamaha CS5, a fairly simple monosynth from 1978. Been after one for a while and I got this one for a very good price. It has a really cool LFO, goes extremely fast which gives you weird distortion/ring mod sounds. It has a switchable high pass/ band pass/ low pass filter, CV ins and out, external input, etc. The filter is really nice, and the envelope generator is surprisingly versatile because of its slightly strange configuration with the VCA (also odd having a synth with no master volume, just VCA initial level and EG levels). Still not quite sure how I'm going to integrate it into my setup (might end up replacing the Jen in Damn Teeth) but I'll worry about that later. Unless i end up getting a Behringer D or their SH101 clone this is ABSOLUTELY the last monosynth I buy...

[youtube][/youtube]
lorez

Post by lorez »

That sounds so sweet and got some of those CS tones from Jarre & vangelis which I love and been wanting. Does it have an arpeggiator as I was wondering how they were getting some of the sounds in the video? Also, dibs if you flip it, I’d really be interested in to. But why would you replace with the behringer, is it the need for midi?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

nah, that's just the very deep LFO i mentioned, you can get really percussive repeats out of it using the triangle wave and it can sound sequenced or arpeggiated if you coincide the note trigger with the pulse and turn up the release and initial level.

i wouldn't replace it with a model D, i would get one as well! a £300 minimoog seems too good to pass up, and my local music shop is starting to get them in stock finally.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Gear4Music has them for £285. I’m going to get a neutron I think. You’re right about the price point for the behringer synths they are doing at the moment.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Can we post things even if we're not Stewart?
► Show Spoiler
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
lorez

Post by lorez »

I saw on Instagram you got a few of these. I’ve always been fascinated by them but wondered about how challenging the programming was
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I found the Octatrack really easy to get up and running, with the help of some youtube tutorials, of which there are PLENTY. The "analog" series is considerably trickier, but again, really well covered on youtube, forums, etc. I traded a digitone for the RYTM, and the Digitone is kind of a breeze, actually. The most fun of all 4 Elektrons I've tried, but a dedicated drum machine was much more important to me.
lorez

Post by lorez »

youtube is always your friend with these type of things. how are they working with the modular stuff?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

aen wrote:Can we post things even if we're not Stewart?
► Show Spoiler
ooft, top notch
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

lorez wrote:youtube is always your friend with these type of things. how are they working with the modular stuff?
The keys has a pair of dedicated cv/gate outputs, which is great. I had to make some cables (stereo 1/4" to dual mono 1/8") to get it going, but once I fought my way through the setup in the keys it worked like a charm. You can also send a clock out, but it's kind of a dumb clock that hits once per measure? I ended up testing it out with a multiplier to get things moving.

The RYTM also has individual outputs, and you have the option of a "pulse" output on each pad, so I used that one on my Happiness pedal, but that's all so far. Like a dumdum i loaned out both of my midi>CV converters.
stewart wrote:
aen wrote:Can we post things even if we're not Stewart?
► Show Spoiler
ooft, top notch
Thanks, man. I flipped a LOT of other stuff, but I'm feeling pretty good about it. We'll see how the show goes, then I'll know for sure.