stew's synth emporium

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

lorez

Post by lorez »

Looks brilliant
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

lorez wrote:Looks brilliant
Aye, it does.

I am trying to get all of my stuff set up permanently atm. I've found a mixer to connect my synths/drum machine to, which will then be connected to my interface. Just totting up how much I need to spend on cables (both audio and midi) to connect everything up *arsecake*
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I had to do a big cable order when setting mine up too. It does really add up.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Yeah, it does. And it's hard to get excited about spending money on cables ;)
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

I'm now at the stage where I'm having to consider how to wire everything up through the patchbay. Couple of complications like how to have the compressor and effects unit through the aux send on the mixer but maybe keeping one compressor channel available directly from the patchbay for specific uses... Doesn't help that I still don't quite have the workings of the patchbay (normalled, half-normalled etc) in my head yet. Feel like I really should have figured this stuff out years ago when my mind was still lithe and less easily distracted.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Really enjoying this Synthscale thread.
XY
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I just run everything into the back of the patchbay, Some things just have the in from the instrument and others have an in and out connected on the back. Then the output signal from everything goes to my main in on the front for the sound interface. Anything else I want to have between the signals I just patch on the front. Without anything plugged in the signal will just flow to the out.

Plugging in and patching on the front breaks the connection and routes the sound through that patch (like if I wanted to put the signal from the Juno through another effect, Moog filter etc)

So I can have a synth going direct to out or patch at the front in between and have it going through any combination of other synths and effexts that are hooked up.

There's a decent description of how it all works HERE

It certailnly explains it easier than I'm doing here.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i kind of know how it works in theory, it's just finding a way of doing it that works for me, if that makes sense. trial and error! :D
lorez

Post by lorez »

Stewart, any updates on this and what you’re currently playing?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

well, this was taken a few months ago when i got the music room in our new house more or less together (click to enlarge):

it's not massively different just now (apart from being more of a mess) but i've added some bits and bobs, mainly a Roland Alpha Juno 1 (just got the controller this week, sooo much easier to program), Korg MS10 and a couple of solid state amps (a Peavey i found in a skip and a Marshall that cost £25- mainly for thrashing at gigs tbh). i also got a weird 80s boss RE1000 digital 'multi echo' rack for £50, it has this really nice 'warmth' knob that adds a thick modulation.

along with the Jen SX1000 the Alpha Juno is actually in the Damn Teeth live setup at the moment, i just brought it home to have a play around. this isn't going to be my permanent music room, i'll be moving next door when we start doing the place up and this room will get extended a bit and made into our main bedroom. i'll end up having a longer, narrower room with a wall that runs the full depth of the house, so it should actually be a lot better in terms of layout, less floorspace wasted.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

also chris, dunno if you saw it but i stuck some comments about the SQ1 and the MS synths and a wee vid at the bottom of this thread: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66526
lorez

Post by lorez »

Thanks for the update and can’t wait to see the new room set up when it’s done. How are you finding the juno? What else do you have in the damn teeth rig?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

The Alpha Juno? It's nice, I hadn't really explored it properly before getting that controller, as the interface is... not particularly easy to use (for me). It has the same "rubbery" sound as the 106 but some differences- the filter isn't the same, the envelopes are much more tweakable and the chorus is more in-depth. They're going up in price but you can still get them for a couple of hundred quid if you're patient. Reliable enough to gig with as well.

Current DT setup features our ubiquitous BassStation and a Casio CT-101 (good organ sound), and a Korg Minilogue.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Didn’t realise you got a minilogue, how you finding it?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

ah it's not mine, it belongs to one of the other guys in the band. it's nice, but i hate those mini keys, there's just no need for them to be on that synth.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

What’s the keyboard above the Alpha Juno Stewart?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

that's a yamaha YS100, i bought it just to see how i'd get on with FM, i thought for £40 i couldn't really go wrong. turns it it's actually a really nice synth, reasonably easy to program and sounds great through an overdrive pedal. cool for horrible nerdy tones.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I only buy synths with mini keys as I like the shortscale synths.
XY
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

plus you get to feel like a giant when you're playing them
lorez

Post by lorez »

stewart wrote:ah it's not mine, it belongs to one of the other guys in the band. it's nice, but i hate those mini keys, there's just no need for them to be on that synth.
Contemplating buying a new synth and considering this with a bunch of others, although mostly longing for the behringer neutron