Mustang F Tuners Replacements

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Johnny Alien

Mustang F Tuners Replacements

Post by Johnny Alien »

So I know there are some Kluson replacements for F tuners but are there any others? Anything locking? I would like to swap the tuners on a 65 RI Mustang and don't see much out there without some mods. I guess if I need to no big deal but if there is a drop in I would be interested.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Why do you need to replace them? Cosmetics? If it's a tuning issue, 90% of the time it's either the nut or the bridge.
Johnny Alien

Post by Johnny Alien »

I think the reissues are just mediocre tuners quality wise. Really I would like to switch to a locking tuner because I prefer them for ease of use BUT I really doubt there is a locking option that is drop in. There probably is no advantage to changing without going locking so maybe I need to suck up and just deal with the mod.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

There won't be a replacement locking F-tuner. Most locking tuners utilize the 10mm peg diameter as well, so in addition to extra mounting holes you'd have to have the headstock's tuner shaft holes reamed larger.

There may be vintage-diameter locking tuners out there, but at that point you'll be spending top shelf cash and likely have to drill new mounting holes anyway.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"