I just bought a Gretsch CVT (Corvette)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

I just bought a Gretsch CVT (Corvette)

Post by Nick »

Got this home yesterday. Loving (almost) everything about it. The pickups sound fantastic out of the box. Going back and forth with the TV Jones Classics that are in the Ovation, the Gretsch stacks up nicely in tone and output, even if the two aren't identical, they're close enough for me. I'm guessing they're still the original Mega'Tron pickups, which are supposed to be "high output" and ceramic, but it still sounds like a Grestch should, and it'll take quite a while with it to decide if it's ever worth replacing the pickups....
It's about the same size as a mustang, and the scale length is extremely close to my favorite neck on my Ovation....the Gretsch is 24.6 to the Ovation's 24.5. Someone installed a Wilkinson style roller bridge which helps keep it in tune immensely.

So what don't I like?

I need need NEED a trem arm that doesn't have a stop, and is ideally longer and round, unlike the short flat one on there now. I really would have the Ovation trem arm if I could find another one without a guitar attached to it. Looking into Chet Atkins arms, which come in two lengths, but are also oddly shaped and from what I read may not simply bolt on to an import "licensed" Bigsby. There are ways of getting what I want but none of them as cheap or easy as I feel like it should be to have a normal feeling bar in your hand at a length you can sweep over the strings to bend spooky surf chords while playing.

I just noticed that towards the middle of the neck (around frets 7-9), the middle two strings seem to buzz a little more than they should, indicating the Wilkinson is not the correct radius. I think I'm going to try my hand at
Honeyiscool's soda can trick the next time I need to change strings.

Also I need a case, and the only one made for these by Gretsch is over half the cost of the guitar (used) and no longer being made.

All in all though, I'm very happy with it

HNB

Post by HNB »

Nice! Super hot looking.
Johnny Alien

Post by Johnny Alien »

Congrats! I love those guitars. I need another guitar with filtertrons.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Congrats! Ubercool guitar!
And I am sorry before hand, I just can't help posting this

[youtube][/youtube]
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

love
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Just picked up a Souldier strap for it in RI yesterday. I'm not crazy about where the top strap button is located on the guitar, I think I have it the right way around because it looks even weirder the other way. Then again there's not really a better place for it, same issue with Hagstroms and SGs

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I love these guitars. That's cool as fuck.

Now stick some P-Rails in it and you're set.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Very nice, Nick.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Finally managed to fit the Chet Atkins arm onto the import Licensed Bigsby trem....loving this guitar now.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

i always really liked the look of these. unfortunately the one time I played one i don't think it was setup that great.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

I'm in love with these - it's a real hard choice for me between this and one of the centre block Gretsch models at the same price. Both get great reviews and both get the same bad reviews that you get some duds (Sloan's complaint). I know a good guy in this city that has a PLEK kit and I don't mind paying a little extra because all the Gretsch at this level seem like a steal, so I don't mind if the QC is a little under par.

Seeing that Chet Arm on it is making me lean towards one of these. I wish they did them in Green or Black...
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Sorry - rude of me: Beautiful guitar, glad you are happy with it! Definitely jealous :)
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Thanks!

They did make them in green and black but they're both signature models and have weird stripes, and not to mention discontinued:

The nut and bridges seem to be the weak link from the reviews I've read in stock form, but both are easy enough to sort out-roller saddles with a bigsby is really the way to go. I haven't played one in stock form but the fact that the prior owner replaced the bridge does tell me something.

I do think these are good value, especially if you can find one used like I did. I Those Center Blocks are nice too, and probably have a bit more of the conventional Gretsch feel.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Looking sexy, Nick. Those MIC Vettes are a great value and all-around fantastic rockers, despite the odd quirks they come with.

Curious how you feel about the Chet arm after a bit. The B5 being farther from the bridge + decent saddles on a Corvette must be nice, since on the Televersary it all feels a tad too stiff and "smallish" to properly grab that wanger and give it a good shake, when compared to the original Bigsby reverb handle. That said, having a few pennies under the plastic bushing to give it some extra height seems to help a little bit, and it sure does look sexy.

► Show Spoiler
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Congrats! I've always been curious about those pickups.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nick wrote:Image
Finally managed to fit the Chet Atkins arm onto the import Licensed Bigsby trem....loving this guitar now.
Ooh, liking that arm! The geetboxxx looks great too.

Wonder how one of those arms would look on my Silvertone...
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I have a late 60's one that I've been making a new pickguard for the last 18 years so I can put it back together.

It has Hi-Lo tron pickups.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

plopswagon wrote:I have a late 60's one that I've been making a new pickguard for the last 18 years so I can put it back together.

It has Hi-Lo tron pickups.
Pictures!!!
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I'll try to post'em tonight.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Doog wrote:
Nick wrote:Image
Ooh, liking that arm! The geetboxxx looks great too.

Wonder how one of those arms would look on my Silvertone...
Your silvertone couldn't handle that much reverb!
XY