bittersweet NGD (now with pics pg 2)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Lovely looking guitar, and I'm sure your dad would be chuffed that you'll keep playing it... I know I'd be happy knowing my kids are enjoying the instruments that gave me joy. I still hope to find the strat for me have bought and sold so many over the years.
XY
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

dezb1 wrote:Lovely looking guitar, and I'm sure your dad would be chuffed that you'll keep playing it... I know I'd be happy knowing my kids are enjoying the instruments that gave me joy. I still hope to find the strat for me have bought and sold so many over the years.

TBH the only guitar he ever really owned for any real length of time and had some attachment to was his Taylor Big Baby, which I've also been holding onto since before he passed. That's probably the more sentimental guitar, however it's not one I really like to play too much other than noodling on around the house. The Strat is one I know I can use and make my own, while still thinking of him whenever I play it.

I dropped it off for a setup today, and also picked up a lightly used Fender Tweed case for it. Better pics in about a week. The case has the orangey red lining and is the type that keeps the guitar straight, with pockets on either side of the neck, as opposed to the asymmetric style. I've had many strats and strat copies before, this one feels like my first "real" one if that makes any sense.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Also on the subject of setups, my dad's playing style and tuning was quite different to mine. He would tune to open E and flip righty guitars upside down to play lefty. He also liked 9's.

Because of the big difference in intonation, tension, and string gauges, I thought it better for someone who sets up strats daily to do the first one, I can probably manage on my own after that. I can do a great setup as long as it's someone else's guitar but on my own gear I'm somewhat lazy, sloppy, have trouble setting a deadline, and usually settle for "good enough". It's also just a great feeling getting a guitar back that's just been set up professionally.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Setup done, picked it up last night along with the new case I bought for it. Such a difference, it's hard to put down. It's been so long since I've owned a decent strat and my first CIJ Fender...I've had plenty of strat copies with other pickups but this is something different.Image
Bad shoobie dog I'm trying to take pictures go away
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Nearly 5 year update to this thread, but my band mate in National Physical Fitness Award just bought himself an American Professional II Strat (Miami Blue/maple) and I A/B’d it with mine. I think I’ve mentioned several times that I find the CIJ pickups really underwhelming, I’m not positive if they were original in this guitar in the first place, but always felt they were the weak link in an otherwise perfect (besides maybe the color combo) strat.

I got instantly envious of how good the AmProII pickups sounded, with the treble bleed volume, altered tone controls and neck pickup on push/push tone switch. Hopped on eBay the next day and bought a loaded pickguard for $185. Also feel the black/cream suits it much better.

Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

FIT

looks amazing now - and from the sounds of it also sounds the business also
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Yep, maple neck, natural finish and black guard are the "proper" 70s combo for me.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

That looks great. My Dad has an Am Pro II strat and it sounds brilliant - good choice.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Still my favorite style of Strat, equally in love with the white and black guards.

Would prefer a hardtail, but that’s just cause I’m an asshole.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Nice! Really like the 70s look Ash strats
XY
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Ash is a pretty wood, so worth it to show off imo.

Definitely an improvement with the new guard and pickups.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Beautiful, love that transition logo.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Bro hugs bro.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Also get your outlet sorted out before my eyes melt out my face
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Black guards look good on every guitar.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

robroe wrote:Also get your outlet sorted out before my eyes melt out my face
Sometimes when you post pics from your phone, the outlets come out upside down.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

plopswagon wrote:
robroe wrote:Also get your outlet sorted out before my eyes melt out my face
Sometimes when you post pics from your phone, the outlets come out upside down.
:lol:

The outlets have bothered me since we bought the house, I've changed a few here and there but haven't gotten to them all yet.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Looks awesome, sibling to my 75 Greco