Fender 69RI Mustang - LPB

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Johnny Alien

Fender 69RI Mustang - LPB

Post by Johnny Alien »

Just decided to upgrade my LPB with matching headstock Mustang reissue and figured I would use this time to take photos. I was never fond of the stock 69 pickups and since I have a 65 that sounds fairly authentic I decided to make this one have hotter pickups. I don't like those dual rail humbucker things though and I actually prefer single coil clarity so lace sensors seemed like a good pick. I chose a blue for the bridge because that is the sensor that Bob Mould has in his bridge position. I even found an actual late 90's one because they apparently aren't exactly the same anymore. The neck is a new silver sensor. They are mis-matched because I don't care and the 90's ones are only readily available in white. I am not sure if they came in black at that time.

Took the time to swap all of the electronics as well since the originals are those tiny pots and weird switches. My only disappointment is that because the CT pot stems are larger I got a newer plate that is advertised for the Mustang/Cyclone and it doesn't match the pickguard exactly. The original pots were split shaft and I did the traditional Mustang solid shaft. I had no idea the originals were split so I need to buy some knobs now.

I also shimmed the neck and added those faction spacers for the switches so they don't stick out. I swapped the bridge out to a newer MIJ one that doesn't have the gap issues the original had. I plan to do Staytrem at some point to improve the string spacing. I was planning non-traditional wiring but at the last minute decided just to wire it up normal. It all came out great. I love LPB but most 69RI's in that color come with the racing stripe and I don't really care for those too much. I was excited to find one in that color with the matching headstock and no stripe. They just don't show up much and they look great.

singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Looks fantastic... love LPB.
Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

very cool
Johnny Alien

Post by Johnny Alien »

singlepup wrote:Looks fantastic... love LPB.
I do too but I never cared for the stripe. I jumped when i found one without it.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

That looks fantastic. I really like the racing stripe ones (I have one), but the LPB tends to be and aged/darker LPB. That's nice and light in colour. Lovely.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

What year is this one. Don't think I ever saw it as a catalog option. Didn't know they did mg69 mh in blue with no stripe
Johnny Alien

Post by Johnny Alien »

It's a "Crafted in Japan" era with a serial number starting with R06 so it seems like that is 2004. I believe I have seen one other like it but that might be it.
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

Yep sure is rare. Must have been factory special run. Definitely never r saw one like it
marco.desan

Post by marco.desan »

Wow I'm impressed! Looks fantastic
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

no denying the truth is incomprehensible

its a shame they never did more colorsImage