NGD- Jackson Minion Rhoads

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Benjammin

NGD- Jackson Minion Rhoads

Post by Benjammin »

I saw one of these at the store months ago and it peaked my interest so I played it for a it. I was surprised how good it sounded and how well it was built. And the short scale makes it soo comfortable. I couldn't get the guitar off my mind, and after playing them a few more times I bought one. The bridge pickup is surprisingly good, very EVH. The neck pickup isn't that great though. I'll probably end up replacing them though, along with the other electronics and hardware

Last edited by Benjammin on Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I had its big brother.

Although mine had different pickups, the problem with the neck pickup wasn't how it sounded, but the output was pretty high so it didn't blend well in the middle position.

Also got the best physical balance by moving the strap button to the position behind the high E string (it's now behind the low E on yours). Actually mine had it above the plate from the factory, but the balance improved a lot by moving it to the plate like on yours, and even better behind the high E.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

Fakir Mustache wrote:I had its big brother.

Although mine had different pickups, the problem with the neck pickup wasn't how it sounded, but the output was pretty high so it didn't blend well in the middle position.

Also got the best physical balance by moving the strap button to the position behind the high E string (it's now behind the low E on yours). Actually mine had it above the plate from the factory, but the balance improved a lot by moving it to the plate like on yours, and even better behind the high E.
the neck pickup on this one sounds thin and weak, like it's a single coil (but it isn't humming so I think it's wired properly), with alot of distortion it's not too bad, but pretty lifeless clean. Thanks for the strap button tip, so far the balance on this one is no problem (I'm also using a 3" suede strap that weighs almost as much as the guitar)
paul_

Post by paul_ »

A combination of the short scale and 24 frets explains the flatter sounding neck pickup for me.
It's pretty much right next to the bridge pickup innit. On guitars like this the neck pickup is usually favored for a thicker lead sound rather than teh mega chunkz like a Les Paul or something, and then with the shorter scale of this one it's going to be even more pronounced.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

They should have done a single-sized bucker in the neck.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

paul_ wrote:A combination of the short scale and 24 frets explains the flatter sounding neck pickup for me.
It's pretty much right next to the bridge pickup innit
It's further from the bridge than a traditional middle pickup (ie, Strats) and the middle position (on a Strat) doesn't sound that much thinner or brighter. This one sounds weak, not flat
paul_ wrote:On guitars like this the neck pickup is usually favored for a thicker lead sound rather than teh mega chunkz like a Les Paul or something, and then with the shorter scale of this one it's going to be even more pronounced.
That's how I'm using the neck pup, if it sounded thicker, I would prefer it

I'm pretty sure it's only the pickup, not a big deal, these aren't exactly marketed at discerning tone chasers. If/when I swap in another set, we'll see how that changes things
Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

jcyphe wrote:They should have done a single-sized bucker in the neck.
and/or made it 22 frets, I can't imagine who would have fingers nimble enough to maneuver on the 23rd/24th frets but long enough to reach, not many kids/beginners I know